Wednesday, October 31, 2012

{REVIEW} TORCHED by ANDREA LYNN COLT

TorchedSeries: Stand alone
Publisher: Andrea Lynn Colt
Publication Date: 9/12
Format: ebook (Kindle)
Pages: 370
Source: Received from author for review.

Rose Whitfield's senior year just went up in smoke. Instead of having a blast with her best friend, her cheerleading squad, and her boyfriend Ryan, she's framed for arson. Popularity and criminal records don't mix, apparently.

Luckily, Rose knows who's framing her: Paxton Callaway. Paxton and Rose have spent years locked in a war of practical jokes. This time he's gone too far. Rose sets out to prove her innocence, win Ryan back, and take Paxton down hard.

Not necessarily in that order.


Torched was a pleasant surprise for me. It's not that I didn't expect to enjoy it, based on the synopsis I had extremely high hopes. But what made the book surprising for me was that I opened it out of curiosity (I was supposed to be reading a different book), planning to read only a few pages, and I could not put it down. I was so engrossed in Rose's story that by the time I looked up, I had read half the book! I had to know who set Rose up, why they did it, how she was going to prove her innocence once and for all.

I pride myself on being a super-smarty sleuth when it comes to "whodunits" in books and  movies. I credit my talents to being a lifelong watcher of  All My Children, may she rest in peace. *sniffs* So naturally, I went into Torched assuming that I would pin the evil doer by the halfway mark. And I did, or so I thought. Wrong. Then, I thought I'd found the true culprit at least five more times. Wrong on every count. Colt did a fantastic job of placing red herrings throughout the story. And I fell for every single one. I think I've gotten so used to having the mystery laid out for me on a platter, that my mystery solving skills have turned to oatmeal. When the truth comes out, I was truly shocked. Well played, Colt.

With a great mystery, I was sure to love Torched. But what makes the story truly stand out is the massive amount of character growth Rose experiences throughout the story. It would have been easy for the author to have let Rose been a completely innocent victim, without any blame or cause for hate. And though Rose is innocent, her past actions, her feud with Paxton, has done damage to those around them. That, and the fact that almost all of Rose's friends turn their backs on her, the same friends she's watched bully others, gives Rose a true wake-up call about her own actions. By going through this horrible experience, Rose gets a chance to reflect on what actions have put her in this position, how carelessly she has treated others, and what she can do to make things right.

Now, what's a serious book review without the boy talk. Torched has two eligible guys, Ryan and Paxton. Ryan is athletic, smart, sweet and romantic. The perfect guy, right? You would think so... But then there's Rose's neighbor, former best friend-turned nemesis, Paxton. Except... maybe there's more to Paxton than Rose is willing to see. Torched isn't a full-on romance, but it does deliver some very sweet, surprising, and happy romantic moments.

With its well-developed, funny, and engaging characters, surprisingly sweet romance, and a mystery that doesn't wrap up until the very end, Torched is a book that delivers the much-loved elements of a great YA story. Author Andrea Colt is an author that I look forward to seeing much more of in the future.


Favorite Quote:
(It's long, but fantastic.)

"His room was empty, but I heard the shower running down the hall. I was banging on the bathroom door before I could think twice about it.
  Movement inside, and then the door whipped open. 'Rose?'
  'Way to go, Callaway. You've won first place in the jerkwad awards.' Then I realized Paxton was naked but for a blue towel around his waist, held by one hand at his hip. I swallowed. That was a lot of skin. My eyes skimmed the top edge of the towel. Suddenly I felt like I was a sophomore again, noticing Paxton's new football chest for the first time.
  Paxton stood there dripping, then swiped water from his face.
  'This isn't an emergency, is it?'
  'Um.' My mouth was open. I shut it.
  'Whatever it is, can it wait until I'm done with my shower?' Then Paxton noticed me staring. He grinned. 'Unless you wanted to join me.' "  (51%)


You can purchase Torched at:
Amazon | Barnes & Noble 
Photobucket

18 comments:

  1. The past few mysteries I've read have been so easy to figure out for me. I think I'm going to pick this up and see if I fall for all the fakes! Great review, thanks for sharing! (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought this a while back, as soon as I saw the cover - love it! And I am thrilled to hear that you loved it and that it's a proper mystery that kept you guessing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, I miss All My Children, too! I remember watching with my mom as a kid. :( Anyway, I love this review. I started it right after we got done chatting about it, but other books pulled me away for a bit. I plan to get back to it tonight, though. I like what I've read so far, only about two chapters, but I know I'm going to enjoy it, especially with this awesome review. I just love when I can't figure out the culprit! Rare, but I love it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't really heard much about this book, but it does sound good. I'm glad that it's actually a good mystery. I tend to be really perceptive so a book that keeps me guessing is always fun for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is too funny! I have never heard of this book before, and I just saw it a few minutes ago on the Bewitched Bookworms blog, and now on your blog! I normally enjoy the same kinds of books as you, so now I know that I need to read this book!

    I love that even though you are kind of a mystery expert, you couldn't even guess this one :)

    Thanks for the great review

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have this one too! I'm excited to read it. I think I can get to it in the next few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, sounds HOT! I've heard of this one. And the mystery sounds great! This is also how I felt about Michele Jaffe's Rosebush. Was a great read, great writing, and I thought I had the bad guy nailed. Totally wrong, and it through me for a huge loop:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a really good read, especially with the true mystery and character growth.
    I hadn't heard of this one, but it is going on my tbr.
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love when books with mysteries that are unpredictable. This sounds like such an awesome read, and omg that quote. Hot!

    Brilliant review as always, Andrea! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  10. I miss All My Children too but even more so One Life To Live. Anyhoo, I really like the sound of this book and for some reason I really love the cover too! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I won this recently and am really looking forward to it. Even moreso after reading this review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE mysteries so I'm always happy to hear about new ones!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great review. I feel like reading this as well. Cute cover too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh now you have my interest. So yeah the summary has my interest but it you got sucked in like that...well I might need this book. Thanks for sharing.

    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Funny enough, I just read this too! My review goes up tomorrow. I loved it too and completely agree with everything you said! I so did not figure out who framed her!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great review. I have a copy of this from the author and planned on starting in soon, now I'll have to get to it even sooner. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! I haven't read many mystery books but this one sounds awesome! I love the quote you put, haha!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm not big on mysteries but the few YA mysteries I've read lately, I've loved. Awesome review! I won't be able to get to this book anytime soon but I'm definitely adding it to my tbr list. I'm really glad that Rose wasn't pegged as the victim it definitely makes her character seem more real.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are bloggy food. Feed me!

Recent Post