Sunday, October 28, 2012

{REVIEW} MORTAL DEFIANCE (DARK BETRAYAL TRILOGY #2) by NICHOLE CHASE

Mortal Defiance (Dark Betrayal Trilogy, #2)Series: Dark Betrayal Trilogy #2
Genre: Paranormal YA
Publisher: Nichole Chase
Publication Date: 12/11
Format: ebook (Kindle)
Pages: 326
Source: Received from author for review.



One short week turned Ree McKenna’s life upside down. Not only does she have the weight of the world on her shoulders, but she still has to juggle homework, a job, and a curfew. While Ree tries to find her footing amidst the chaos, the Dark Ones and their champion are busy hunting down any humans that have a touch of the gods running through their veins. Allies have ffturned into foes, and enemies have become stronger.

The world is growing darker, but the passion between Ree and two irresistible guys blazes hotter. Romantic ties from a past life will threaten to break Ree away from the love of her life and will cloud her judgment. In order to follow her heart, Ree will break rules put in place by the gods, risking her life and the lives of her friends in an act of Mortal Defiance.

Mortal Defiance is the very strong follow-up to Nichole Chase's Mortal Obligation. I'm finding it very difficult to review this book without giving spoilers for it and for Mortal Obligation, so I'm going to be vague, but hopefully helpful, here.

Mortal Defiance picks up very shortly after the shocking end to book one. Ree, her friends and family are dealing with the consequences of the revelations and loss. Their enemies won't wait, though, so they must all get it together quickly, and battle for their lives. They must also contend with their constantly evolving powers, and dynamic.

I really like how Chase has taken several different paranormal elements: Vampires, Gods, Demi-Gods, and created her own spin on each element. Her world-building is very detailed, but not confusing, and I appreciate her thoroughness.

And as much as I enjoy the world of the Dark Betrayal series, I must admit, I am a romantic. I loved how the relationship between Ree and Paden has developed. Their attraction to one another felt authentic, not forced, and had just the right amount of steam. I find it very annoying in stories, and unrealistic, when the main character spends more time swooning that fighting when the world is falling down around her. Ree is falling in love, but that comes second to staying alive. Smart girl. I also like the (sort of) love triangle with Roland/Ree/Padon. Both boys seem to be good choices for Ree, and that makes for an excellent dilemma.

Mortal Defiance took everything I enjoyed about Mortal Obligation: the friendships, romance, danger, and action, and built upon that strong foundation. I'm really excited to see how it all goes down in book three, Immortal Grave.


Favorite Quote:

"He looked at her, and she noticed how much more relaxed he seemed just being near her. Her body and mind ached with the need to comfort him. Stepping into him, she wrapped her arms around his shoulders and pressed her head against his chest. A deep, pent-up sigh escaped him, and one arm slid around her waist while the other reached up to stroke her hair. Hours could have passed and Ree wouldn't have noticed. The only thing that mattered was the solace they offered each other."  (4%)


"Moving close to her, he leaned down so his lips grazed her ear. 'You're the only girl that I want to be with. The only girl that I look forward to seeing walk into a room. When I'm not with you, all I can think about is getting back to you. When you touch me, it's like fire running through my veins.' Gently turning her so she was facing him, he ran a thumb over her bottom lip, and she shivered. 'No one holds a candle to you.' " (47%)

You can purchase Mortal Defiance at:
Amazon  |  Barnes & Noble  |  Book Depository


The Dark Betrayal Series
(click on cover to find my review of Mortal Obligation)

Mortal Obligation (Dark Betrayal Trilogy, #1)Mortal Defiance (Dark Betrayal Trilogy, #2)Immortal Grave (Dark Betrayal Trilogy #3)

Nichole ChaseNichole Chase is a daydreamer. No, really, just ask any of the math teachers that had the misfortune of seeing her name appear on their class schedule. For years she has had story lines and characters begging for attention, but she resolutely pushed them aside to focus on more normal (read, boring) jobs. Well, no longer! She is currently heeding the voices in her head and frantically writing their stories. Nichole resides in South Georgia with her husband, energetic toddler, three dogs, and two cats. When not devouring novels by the dozens, you may find her writing, painting, crafting, or chasing her daughter around the house while making monster noises.

You can connect with Nichole at:
her website | GoodReads | Twitter | Facebook

Photobucket

9 comments:

  1. I love Paden. I hope they end up together in IG. Going to read that one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous series. IG was GREAT! I know who "wins" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, great cover too. I'm putting this on my "Crazy Eyes Book Covers" Pinterest board :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much, Andrea! I really appreciate you taking the time to read and review Mortal Defiance!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much, Andrea! I really appreciate you taking the time to read and review Mortal Defiance!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, I just picked up Mortal Obligatoin, and I can't wait to read it and now I can't wait to read Mortal Defiance!! Thanks for the review! This sounds like a series I will want to keep up with. I too am a hopeless romantic and what you say gives me hope :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the typesetting on this cover! Very pretty! And I'm with you, I hate it when the romance takes over and the protag forgets that she wants to survive, etc. Sounds like a good read!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that's nice that the romance was realistic, and oh, those quotes *swoon*! Great review Andrea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have Mortal Obligation, but haven't had a chance to read it yet. This sounds like an awesome series. I am a romantic to, and that is one of the main things that makes or breaks a book for me. Great review.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are bloggy food. Feed me!

Recent Post