Sunday, October 7, 2012

CHILDREN'S HALLOWEEN ROUND-UP ~ MINI REVIEWS

It's Pumpkin Day, Mouse!Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Publication Date: July 24, 2012
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 24
Source: Received from publisher for review.


Join Mouse from "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" as he decorates all the pumpkins in the patch,
My four year old was very excited to read It's Pumpkin Day, Mouse! Both of my kids have been big fans of the If You Give a Mouse Series. This book was very cute. I'll admit, we were slightly disappointed because the story does not follow the same pattern as the other books in the series. That repetition and anticipation has always been so fun. My daughter did like the story, though, and thinks it's very fun.


You can purchase It's Pumpkin Day, Mouse! at:
Amazon  |  Barnes & Noble  |  Book Depository



Mia: Time to Trick or Treat!Publisher: Harper Festival
Publication Date: July 24, 2012
Format: Hardcoever
Pages: 24
Source: Received from publisher for review.

Mia and her best friends are going to be matching ballerinas for Halloween. Matching pink ballerinas, that is But when Ruby wants to be green and Anna wants to be blue, things get a little . . . colorful Can the tutu-tastic friends get their costumes together before it's time to trick or treat?

This book includes a full page of stickers to dress up Mia and her ballerina buddies.

My daughter absolutely adored this Mia: Time to Trick or Treat. The illustrations were gorgeous. We spent as much time admiring the pictures as we did enjoying the story. The story was a nice lesson on compromise and friendship, which is a message no child can every hear enough of. We've read this story multiple times now, and are still enjoying it. Bonus: There are stickers!

You can purchase Mia: Time to Trick or Treat at:
Amazon  |  Barnes & Noble 


Just Say Boo!Publisher: Harper Collins
Publication Date: July 24, 2012
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 32
Source: Received from publisher for review.





If three dinosaurs roar when you open your door, what do you say?

"Boo " of course In this charmingly spooky story by Susan Hood, little trick-or-treaters learn just what to say in every Halloween situation. From rattling bones to ghostly footsteps, Susan captures all the best scares of the season--and teaches just the right way to dispel fears in favor of fun. Jed Henry's lustrous watercolors add the perfect crisp chill to this fall-weather story.

For if a skeleton groans as she rattles her bones, what do you say?

Just Say Boo! was a very cute story. I loved the messsage, which was "Halloween Etiquette" such as when to say "Trick or Treat" or "Boo!" and to say "Thank You".  The illustrations were gorgeous, funny, and sweet. This is a story that my 4-year old has asked to read multiple times and she really has fun with it.
 
You can purchase Just Say Boo! at:
Amazon  |  Barnes & Noble  |  Book Depository 


Invisible Inkling: Dangerous PumpkinsPublisher:Balzer + Bray
Publication Date: July 24, 2012
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 160
Source: Received from publisher for review.
It's Halloween. Fourth grader Hank Wolowitz "hates" Halloween. Every year his older sister, Nadia, scares him half to death.

This year might be different, though. After all, Hank's the only kid in Brooklyn--probably the only kid in North America--with an invisible bandapat living in his laundry basket. And Invisible Inkling "loves" Halloween. Pumpkins are his favorite food.

But Hank has serious trouble stopping Inkling from devouring every jack-o'-lantern in their neighborhood. And that's not his only problem: Will he figure out a cool costume? Will he survive the small army of ballerinas roaming the hallways of his building? Will Hank ever get revenge on Nadia?

Inkling has long since stopped listening to Hank's worries.

Inkling is taking action.

I read Invisible Inkling: Dangerous Pumpkins with my seven-year old son. I was desperate to read something other than ninja books at bedtime, and being that Halloween is around the corner, decided that this would be good for bedtime reading since it's not a spooky story.

Invisible Inkling was a very funny story, revolving around Hank and his invisibile pet bandapat, Inkling, Inkling was adorable, even when he got Hank in trouble with his family. My son and I laughed many times reading the story, and loved the illustrations. It's a great story to get you in the mood for Halloween, and even better, was so cute that it didn't scare my son at bedtime.

If you're looking for a book that is a fun Fall read, I highly recommend Invisible Inkling: Dangerous Pumpkins.
 
You can purchase Invisible Inklings: Dangerous Pumpkins at:
Amazon  |  Barnes & Noble  |  Book Depository

Photobucket

12 comments:

  1. Invisible Inkling looks like something that my son would enjoy as well! Thanks for the round-up ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I love that you're getting your children into reading at a young age. It's so important and a wonderful way to spend time together. My parents did the same for me and I did the same for my kids. Now my daughter is an avid reader. My son sometimes. He's got a lot on his plate with school at the moment but can you believe he read Twilight and the Vampire Academy series?! This is when he had a little more time. Theses all sound like wonderful titles. Thanks for sharing Andrea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun are those?? Nice. Thanks for sharing.

    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too Cute, I love em!! My kids love the mouse a cookie series. Funny, I just read a Ninjago book to my boys-and 1/2 the pronunciating I did was all wrong-according to them :p lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh oh oh! The other day at my daughters school one of the moms read an If You Give a Mouse book and it was so cute! I want to order some of them and hope I can in the next scholastic book order. Great post Andrea, I'm always on the look out for new books for the brats.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My children would love these books! (I must admit I don't mind them as well ;) thank-you so much for sharing Andrea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are all so cute! I bet my niece would love some of these. Thanks for doing this roundup.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this! I should do this with my kids too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those all sound great! I am always looking for great books to read to my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These sounds great, something my little man would like. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Andrea, I love these reviews! My daughter is almost four and there are definitely some titles here I know she would enjoy. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great illustrations are a must. Aubrey's just not interested if they don't have good pictures. And hell yes to the stickers. they are full of win. I may have to get that one for her. :)

    Love these mini reviews. I haven't even edited my story reading thing for this week. Just not enough time, and I've been doing the trailer for TVB. Your always on top of your blog. I envy your motivation. lol

    ReplyDelete

Comments are bloggy food. Feed me!

Recent Post