Monday, October 29, 2012

{REVIEW} ASK THE PASSENGERS by A.S. KING

Ask The PassengersSeries: Stand alone
Genre: Contemporary Young Adult
Publisher: Little Brown Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: 10/23/12
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 296
Source: Received from publisher for review.

Astrid Jones desperately wants to confide in someone, but her mother's pushiness and her father's lack of interest tell her they're the last people she can trust. Instead, Astrid spends hours lying on the backyard picnic table watching airplanes fly overhead. She doesn't know the passengers inside, but they're the only people who won't judge her when she asks them her most personal questions . . . like what it means that she's falling in love with a girl.
As her secret relationship becomes more intense and her friends demand answers, Astrid has nowhere left to turn. She can't share the truth with anyone except the people at thirty thousand feet, and they don't even know she's there. But little does Astrid know just how much even the tiniest connection will affect these strangers' lives--and her own--for the better.
In this truly original portrayal of a girl struggling to break free of society's definitions, Printz Honor author A.S. King asks readers to question everything--and offers hope to those who will never stop seeking real love.


Insightful and inspiring, Ask the Passengers will challenge your thoughts on identity, boundaries, love, and acceptance.

High school senior Astrid Jones may be in love. With another girl. Is she gay? That's what her family, her friends, the town, her girlfriend think. But Astrid doesn't want to be defined. She wants an existence and freedom that doesn't exist within the labels that appease society. So Astrid refuses to answer the questions, refuses to be put in a box.

Ask the Passengers was such a quietly spectacular story. The author, through her character's observations on the people and ideas that define her town and her family, offered many insights into what society expects and believes about sexuality. Astrid's ongoing quest for knowledge, self-reflection, and truth offered a clever way of exploring, enlightening, and engaging that felt natural, not preachy.

Books like Ask the Passengers offer teens a chance to explore and find an identity among the characters, and for that reason, they are more important than we can ever know. But, I think these books can teach adults, particularly parents, as well. As a parent of young children, I have learned many lessons from the parents in these books. Sometimes the lesson is what to do for my kids; often times, as in the case of this book, it's what not to do. But I always take away the most important lesson: Listen. Be there. And let your child no that you love them and always have their back.

Ask the Passengers is such an important book for all to read. Whether you identify with the main character or not, the story teaches invaluable lesson on identity, kindness, and love. The world needs more of that.



Favorite Quote:

  "When I see the first plane, I make a deal with its passengers. I say: Look, this is a loan. I don't know if love is something I will run out of one day. I don't know if I should be giving it all to you guys or not. Today, I feel like maybe I should have kept some for myself for days when no one else love me. Not even my best friend.(pg. 214)


  "When I told you I didn't know if I was gay, I was telling you the truth. I just know I'm in love - with a girl. I had no idea of anything past that. It's very Socrates, you know? I'm not questioning my sexuality as much as I'm questioning the strict definitions and boxes of all sexualities and why we care so much about other people's intimate business. "  (pg. 256)

You can purchase Ask the Passengers at:
Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Book Depository
Photobucket

14 comments:

  1. Wow. Love those quotes you picked. I'm seriously considering reading this now. I've stayed away from books with tough subjects for way too long, and I like the fact that this one offers a lesson for kids AND parents. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a very insightful and beautiful book. I agree that there should be more books like this out there. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds really good. I'd probably like it. I love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a great read. I hate labels especially for young people who are still trying to define themselves. Excellent review.

    I added your button to my blogroll today :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I need this one! I have been really enjoying LGBT aspects in stories lately and I'm with you that I definitely take away knowledge of what to do (and not to) with MY own kids. I really love the cover for this one, Great review as always chick!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was talking to my husband the other day and we both were saying that reading YA (as adults) makes people better parents.

    I think it reminds you of how difficult being a teenager can be and experience uncomfortable situations from a distance while allowing you to empathize with the character.

    YA also reminds you of how you were as a kid. We all like to think we were perfect but lets face it - we weren't lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that quote you chose. I haven't read this author yet, but everyone raves so I really must do it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I first saw you were reading this I checked it out and found it intriguing so I added it to my TBR pile. Then I saw your TT and thought "Wow, this main character is pretty hilarious. I really want to read this book!" and then I saw your review of the book and now I know I NEED to read it! I love books that can take a serious topic and get the message across while still throwing in humor and making it an enjoyable read. Fantastic review! (:

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so excited to read this! I actually had my friend pick up a signed copy for me and I hope to go pick it up this weekend. I think this will be a very powerful read for me and your review just has me even more excited to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the first I've heard of this book, but it sounds both intense and humorous. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not sure I would have given this book a second look, but I like your review. Maybe I can find some time - um...did I say that? I have NO time. Heehee.

    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the sound of this story. Will definitely give it a try. Good review :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome review! You're officially the person I will be going to for contemporary recommendations. (:

    ReplyDelete
  14. Definitely my favorite quotes from the book. And a perfect summary

    ReplyDelete

Comments are bloggy food. Feed me!

Recent Post