Saturday, December 17, 2011

Review ~ The Fallen Queen (The House of Arkhangel'sk, #1) by Jane Kindred

Heaven can go to hell.

Until her cousin slaughtered the supernal family, Anazakia’s father ruled the Heavens, governing noble Host and Fallen peasants alike. Now Anazakia is the last grand duchess of the House of Arkhangel’sk, and all she wants is to stay alive.

Hunted by Seraph assassins, Anazakia flees Heaven with two Fallen thieves—fire demon Vasily and air demon Belphagor, each with their own nefarious agenda—who hide her in the world of Man. The line between vice and virtue soon blurs, and when Belphagor is imprisoned, the unexpected passion of Vasily warms her through the Russian winter.

Heaven seems a distant dream, but when Anazakia learns the truth behind the celestial coup, she will have to return to fight for the throne—even if it means saving the man who murdered everyone she loved.
~From GoodReads                                       


What a book! At first glance, I would have written The Fallen Queen off as a strictly High Fantasy book. And it is a Fantasy, a great one at that, full of deceit, betrayal, and despair. The world building is beautiful and complex, involving a Heaven more elaborate than I could have ever imagined. It was perhaps a bit complex for my taste, but I just sort of let the intricate political and geographical bits go and took in the rest of the details, which I loved.

What really jerked me into the story and held me captivated was the relationship between Anazakia and Vasily, and Vasily and Belphagor. I don't even know where to begin. It was weird...and HOT.  When I say weird, I'm not even talking about genders and sexuality, that's not important.  I'm talking about the, I don't know, fluidness, of the relationships. I'm sure I am not properly conveying my thoughts, but honestly, I'm still reeling over the triangle. Wow!

At it's core, The Fallen Queen is the story of a girl whose entire life is ripped apart. It reminded me, and this story is even referred to, of Anastasia.  Anazakia, (oh, I just got the name similarity) was a brave, resourceful girl who literally makes the best of what is handed to her. If you like Fantasy books, at all, this one is highly recommended.

Favorite Quote:

" 'What happens,' I breathed, 'when a firespirit  and a waterspirit come together?'
    He pressed his fingers to my lips as if to be sure I was speaking and a spark of wavering violet
    danced on his hand. I sought his mouth with mine and at the meeting of our lips, the light surged
    around us like our own aurora."
Published December 6th 2011 by Entangled Publishing, LLC

You can purchase The Fallen Queen at:
Barnes & Noble  | Amazon  |  Book Depository

*I received a copy of The Fallen Queen from Entangled Publishing, via NetGalley.*

4 comments:

  1. Haha i'm really curious about this love triangle now! o_O And this cover is freaky!!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like it is a great read! I am really interested, especially because of the similarities of to the story of Anastasia. Great Review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I just bought this book a few days ago. Glad to see you liked it so much. I will definitely read it whenever I find the time. Sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! =D

    this is the first time I see this book around! Glad too discover a new titles in your blog =)
    It seems to be a good fantasy! thanks so much for the wonderful review!! =D yay!!

    Happy reading ^.^
    Dazzling Reads

    ReplyDelete

Comments are bloggy food. Feed me!

Recent Post