Wednesday, May 29, 2013

MY THOUGHTS ON: PUSHING THE LIMITS, CROSSING THE LINE, and VEER

Pushing the Limits (Pushing the Limits, #1)Series: Pushing the Limits #1
Category/Genre: Young Adult Contemporary Romance
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Publication Date: 8/31/12
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 392
Source: Bought

No one knows what happened the night Echo Emerson went from popular girl with jock boyfriend to gossiped-about outsider with "freaky" scars on her arms. Even Echo can't remember the whole truth of that horrible night. All she knows is that she wants everything to go back to normal.But when Noah Hutchins, the smoking-hot, girl-using loner in the black leather jacket, explodes into her life with his tough attitude and surprising understanding, Echo's world shifts in ways she could never have imagined. They should have nothing in common. And with the secrets they both keep, being together is pretty much impossible.

Yet the crazy attraction between them refuses to go away. And Echo has to ask herself just how far they can push the limits and what she'll risk for the one guy who might teach her how to love again.
 
 
Good lord, why hasn't somebody slapped some sense into me by now. How the heck did I go nearly ten months without reading this book? I OWN IT. I pre-ordered Pushing the Limits before it even released... and yet it set on my shelf. Unread. I'm an idiot.

Look, almost everyone I know has read Pushing the Limits by now, and I'm sure that I have nothing new to add to the discussion. So why am I even writing this? Just to state that I loved Pushing the Limits more than words. That Echo Emerson, with her bravery and heart, is a girl that I will always remember. That Noah Hutchins will go down, in my opinion, as one of my all-time favorite book guys. It's not the fact that he was hot or a bad boy that won me. It was his devotion to his brothers, to his friends, and his unconditional, unselfish, and overwhelming love for Echo that won my heart.

Katie McGarry wrote the hell out of this book and is now an auto-buy author.



 

Crossing the Line (Pushing the Limits, #1.5)Series: Pushing the Limits #1.5
Category/Genre: Young Adult Contemporary Romance
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Publication Date: 4/1/13
Format: Kindle
Pages: 67
Source: Bought

Katie McGarry captivated readers with her “riveting, emotional”* Young Adult debut, Pushing the Limits. In this gripping novella, she tells the story of Lila and Lincoln, who discover that sometimes it’s worth crossing the line for love…

Lila McCormick, Echo's best friend from Pushing the Limits, first met Lincoln Turner when tragedy struck both their lives. But she never expected their surprise encounter would lead to two years of exchanging letters—or that she’d fall for the boy she’s only seen once. Their relationship is a secret, but Lila feels closer to Lincoln than anyone else. Until she finds out that he lied to her about the one thing she depended on him for the most.

Hurting Lila is the last thing Lincoln wanted. For two years, her letters have been the only thing getting him through the day. Admitting his feelings would cross a line he’s never dared breach before. But Lincoln will do whatever it takes to fix his mistakes, earn Lila’s forgiveness—and finally win a chance to be with the girl he loves.



My goodness. I believe that it is simply not possible for Katie McGarry to write a story that I won't love. She packed so much emotion into this novella and I came away from it with such a full heart. I honestly went into Crossing the Line not knowing what to expect, except brilliant writing. Always brilliant writing where McGarry's concerned.

Crossing the Line went beyond my high, but completely open expectations. I love the story of how Lila and Lincoln connected, though it was extremely sad. I loved the chance to know Lila better. I already adored her for her loyalty to Echo. I could identify with Lila, a lot. As someone who has never, ever lived on my own, I could sympathize with her fear of moving away. Lincoln was another great guy from McGarry. I felt so sorry for Lincoln and what he's going through. I loved that he let himself fall for Lila and took a risk to win her trust and her heart.

Crossing the Line was a beautiful novella. I loved everything about it, but I will go ahead and say what everyone else has likely said. It should be longer. Novel length. But I say that only because I can never get enough of this author's words.



Veer (Clayton Falls, #2)Series: Clayton Falls #2
Category/Genre: Adult Contemporary Romance
Publisher: Alyssa Rose Ivy
Publication Date:
Format: Kindle
Pages: 286
Source: Bought
Only when you let go can you learn to live.

Between the death of her mother and pushing through law school without her best friend, it's been a tough year for Becca. Needing a break from Boston, she moves to a tiny coastal North Carolina town for a relaxing summer. After bumping heads repeatedly with a local cop, she realizes her summer will be anything but quiet.

Three years after a career ending injury ruins his chance to play Major League Baseball, Gavin has a distrust of northerners and lately girls in general. He wants nothing to do with a girl who is only in town for the summer.

When the two give in to their impossible attraction, they realize that they may just have found the key to freeing themselves from the ghosts of their pasts.

 

 

I'm a fan of Alyssa Rose Ivy and her books. I love her clean, concise writing style, and the characters she creates. I also like how her stories have enough drama to keep me hook, but not so much angst that I feel like I'm going to have a nervous breakdown. I read the first book in the series, Derailed, last winter and was excited to revisit Clayton Falls.

 

I will go ahead and admit, I was worried about Gavin having his own book. I wasn't a fan of his in Derailed. He was too cocky, too pushy. But in Veer, we get to see the other side of Gavin, the man who was dumped for getting injured, the man who's just sort of drifting along.
 
I was very happy that the heroine of Veer was going to be Becca. She didn't play a big part in Derailed, but she was a great friend, and I loved getting to know her better. Strong-willed and with a quick wit and spirited temper, she was an excellent fit for Gavin. The push and pull between the two personalities was fun.
 
As with Derailed, my favorite character was Jake Matthews! This guy is a riot, a button-pusher, and I am itching to get my hands on his upcoming book, Wrecked.

Photobucket

16 comments:

  1. I also loved Noah's devotion to his brothers. So sweet. Everything he did and was willing to give up for them. I still need to read Crossing the Line. Love when a lot of emotion is packed into a quick novella. I also loved Dare You To. Veer was great. I actually like Gavin being so forward and pushy in the first book. But we definitely saw the more vulnerable side in Veer. Jake is always a great scene stealer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katei McGarry is an autobuy author for me too! I love this series so much. I still need to read Crossing the Line though. Veer was good too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pushing the Limits is simply amazing! I adore Noah and Echo! I still need to read Crossing the Line, but I have no doubts that I will love that too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great reviews!! I loved Pushing the Limits so much. Crossing the Line too, though I never reviewed it. I really loved Veer too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should have smacked you to get you to read TOO I guess. ;)
    Crossing the Line is this month for me.
    I want to read more by Ivy, I love THoSD.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great mini reviews friend :) I love Katie McGarry! She is one of my auto-buy authors! I loved Noah for all the same reasons that you did! His loyalty, love, and protectiveness towards his little brothers, and friends was beautiful. I wasn't sure about Gavin from Derailed either! I thought he was too push, and acted kind of like a stalker, but I really enjoyed him in Veer, and I love Becca :) I haven't read Crossing the Line yet, but I've heard the same thing s about it--that it's a great story, but too short. I love how you always get to the bottom-line in your reviews, and are so clear and concise about everything :)

    Lindy@ A Bookish Escape

    (Sorry, the above comment was mine, but I redid it because Ro was using my computer, and forgot to sign out.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even though I've read pushing the limits, and perhaps because I have, I love your mini-review so so much! You were able to encapsulate all my turbulent feelings and emotions in just a few sentences. =)

    I haven't caught up yet with crossing the line and Dare You To...but hopefully soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not too much angst in Veer, huh? That definitely has me more interested!
    I loved Pushing the Limits but I haven't read the novella. I suppose I should get to that one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are right on about Echo and Noah, Andrea! LOVED Pushing the Limits! I haven't read Crossing the Line yet...YET! ;) And I've yet to read Alyssa Rose Ivy...even though I own a couple of her books. But Veer sounds great! So hopefully I won't wait too long to get to Alyssa's book! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Agreed...Katie McGarry is definitely an auto-buy author. And Crossing the Line definitely needed to be full-length. I adored Lincoln and Lila. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay, I am so happy you finally got around to reading PtL, Andrea! As someone who doesn't really read contemporary books, this one took me surprise. And I agree, aside from his hotness and bad boy attitude I loved his devotion toward his brother and friends. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved your mini reviews. Pushing the limits was one of my favorite books, and the sequel, Dare You too, also. Katie McGarry is now on my list of Authors I think have the edge. Look forward to reading more of your reviews. Keep up the good work!

    Ro
    A Bookish Escape

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm still not sure why I haven't read Pushing the limits yet!! I need to!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I so loved PtL and DYT sat on my Kindle for months before I read it, then I wanted to kick myself to for not reading it sooner. I have Crossing the Line, but still need to read it. You are right about Gavin. I didn't care for him in the first book, but he turned out pretty good in Veer. I love Alyssa's books to.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You know I loved Pushing the Limits! Haven't read Crossing the Line yet. I know, I know. I'll get to it soon really.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are bloggy food. Feed me!

Recent Post