Friday, February 8, 2013

{WICKED WINTER SATURDAYS} ON DUBLIN STREET (ON DUBLIN STREET #1) by SAMANTHA YOUNG





Baby, it's cold outside! Time to snuggle up with a mug of hot chocolate (or a glass of wine!) and fall into a steamy, sexy book.
 
Wicked Winter Saturdays is a weekly post we started to challenge ourselves to read more steamy books and have a lot of fun. Feel free to join in. (let us know so we can add a link to your post).

The Autumn Review
Sim-Sational Books
Hackaroo's Review
Paranormal and Urban Fantasy Reviews
Insightful Minds Review
Taryn @ My Secret Romance


**The books featured on WICKED WINTER SATURDAYS are for adults. If you are under 18 years of age, or do not like smexy books, please stop here. **


On Dublin Street (On Dublin Street, #1)Series: On Dublin Street #1
Genre: Adult Contemporary Romance
Publisher: Samantha Young
Publication Date: 8/31/12
Format: Kindle
Pages: 414
Source: Bought


Jocelyn Butler has been hiding from her past for years. But all her secrets are about to be laid bare…

Four years ago, Jocelyn left her tragic past behind in the States and started over in Scotland, burying her grief, ignoring her demons, and forging ahead without attachments. Her solitary life is working well—until she moves into a new apartment on Dublin Street where she meets a man who shakes her carefully guarded world to its core.

Braden Carmichael is used to getting what he wants, and he’s determined to get Jocelyn into his bed. Knowing how skittish she is about entering a relationship, Braden proposes an arrangement that will satisfy their intense attraction without any strings attached.

But after an intrigued Jocelyn accepts, she realizes that Braden won’t be satisfied with just mind-blowing passion. The stubborn Scotsman is intent on truly knowing her… down to the very soul.


** I purchased On Dublin Street while it was still self-pubbed. My info above reflects the version I own/read**
 
With a broody tone, intense characters, and steamy love story, its no wonder On Dublin Street blew up in a big way and became a world-wide sensation.

At this point in the book's journey, I sort of feel as if my review is pointless. Everyone, and I mean, everyone seems to have read On Dublin Street, and LOVED it. With good reason, I'll add. And though I did truly enjoy most of the book, and devoured the second half, I admit it took me a while to fall in love.

I think my hesitation came from the overwhelming hype. I'm always afraid I will become the contrary reader who "just doesn't get it". It's happened to before (Incarnate, ugh) and I'm sure it will happen again.

Another reason for my slow warming to On Dublin Street was the mood. The tone at the beginning is very dreary, though totally fitting and understandable. I was getting depressed. Also, Joss is so cold (again fitting and understandable) and Braden was arrogant, overbearing. Don't get me wrong, I love a man in control (just ask Autumn, we've had DEEP discussion about this) but I don't like a man, bookish or otherwise, to treat his lady like a mother-flipping child. So...there's that.

BUT, once Joss and Braden begin to open up to one another, and their senses of humor come into play, On Dublin Street became super enjoyable. I loved the banter, the play vie for control, the upper hand. The playful flirtation, with a dangerously sexy undercurrent made me go from lukewarm to really liking to OMG, I CAN'T PUT THIS BOOK DOWN.

On Dublin Street was so dramatic (SO DRAMATIC), occasionally funny ("sausage" jokes, FTW), pretty darn steamy (WIN!) and in the end, I really, really liked it. And I've learned there will be an On Dublin Street, Part Deux. I'm very, very curious about this, since book one was wrapped up nice and tight. I sincerely hope it's more of a companion, and I pray it's about Adam and Ellie.



Favorite Quote:

  "Babe," he gave me a look that suggested I was missing the obvious, "I never kid about blowjobs."
  The sound of someone choking brought my head up. Our waiter had descended on us just in time to hear those romantic words and his rosy cheeks betrayed his embarrassment. "Ready to order?" he croaked out.
  "Yes," Braden answered, obviously uncaring that he'd been overheard. "I'll have the steak, medium-rare." He smiled softly at me. "What are you having?" He took a swig of water.
  He thought he was so cool and funny.
  "Apparently sausage."


  "What's taking so long?"
  "Jocelyn was just begging for sex, but I told her it was a highly inappropriate time for it," Braden answered loudly, causing passerby to chuckle at him.
  Furious at him for so many reasons, I rushed down our stoop towards them. "That's okay, sweetheart," I answered just as loudly. "I have a toy that does a better job of it anyway."


  "I spent last night going over and over the last six months in my head and I know that you're lying to me. I know you love me, Jocelyn, because there's no f*cking way I can be this much in love with you and not have you feel the same way. It's not possible."


  I giggled. "I love you."
  He sat up quickly and then swung out of the bed, pulling me with him. He pushed me towards then en-suite. "You're going to say it again while I f*ck you in the shower."
  "This whole taking control thing is kind of hot."
  "It's about to get hotter, babe."


You can purchase On Dublin Street at:
Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Book Depository
Photobucket

13 comments:

  1. Yes, the next book it's a companion. Down London Road, I think it's about Jo the bartender friend of Joss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard a lot about this book. My friend told me I need to read it, but I'm currently having a hard time getting reading time. Sigh

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have stayed away from this because of the hype! (That's actually the Book Girls topic this week lol) It sounds awesome, but I am worried that I am expecting too much out of it so I will wait until the hype dies down. Love the quotes! Fab review as always babe!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you liked this book! Its no secret that I just absolutely adored it! Loved the quotes you featured, all of them are great. And I dont think the sequel is actually a sequel, I'm pretty sure it is completely different characters but just the same type of story, but I could be wrong about that. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of these days I am going to read this book! I haven't had time and I'm afraid I will be devoured by it. Hopefully soon. I love the quotes! And I love when blogs post quotes too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really liked this book, and the sexy undercurrent definitely made it a must read. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this one, Andrea! I can understand having some reservations after so much hype though. I absolutely LOVED Braden and how he never gave up on Joss. The epilogue rocked. There's a short story you can find on GRs: On Dublin Christmas. Don't miss it. Lovely review Andrea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have not read this one. Hadn't even heard of it but sounds like I need to add it to my tbr list. I have finally been reading a little more and more adult books and would love to read a lot more. Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know you were reading this. I loved it. I agree that the second half really won me over. Braden is hot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those quotes are the best! Hmmmm...wonder if I could get through the beginning to get to the good stuff? Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just finished this book this morning & loved it (:

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't really care for adult books but the hype for this one has made me curious. You're right! Just about every blogger and their mother, brother, sister, great-aunt, etc. has read, loved, and raved about it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are bloggy food. Feed me!

Recent Post