Tuesday, February 5, 2013

{REVIEW} THE INDIGO SPELL (BLOODLINES #3) by RICHELLE MEAD

The Indigo Spell (Bloodlines, #3)Series: Bloodlines #3
Genre: Paranormal Young Adult
Publisher: Razorbill
Publication Date: 2/12/13
Format: ARC
Pages: 432
Source: Received from publisher for review.

In the aftermath of a forbidden moment that rocked Sydney to her core, she finds herself struggling to draw the line between her Alchemist teachings and what her heart is urging her to do. Then she meets alluring, rebellious Marcus Finch--a former Alchemist who escaped against all odds, and is now on the run. Marcus wants to teach Sydney the secrets he claims the Alchemists are hiding from her. But as he pushes her to rebel against the people who raised her, Sydney finds that breaking free is harder than she thought. There is an old and mysterious magic rooted deeply within her. And as she searches for an evil magic user targeting powerful young witches, she realizes that her only hope is to embrace her magical blood--or else she might be next. Populated with new faces as well as familiar ones, the Bloodlines series explores all the friendship, romance, battles, and betrayals that made the #1 New York Times bestselling Vampire Academy series so addictive—this time in a part-vampire, part-human setting where the stakes are even higher and everyone’s out for blood.
 
**No spoilers for Bloodlines, The Golden Lily, or The Indigo Spell**

I honestly have felt as if I am one of the few unenthusiastic readers of the Bloodlines series. Yes, it is well-written. Yes, I have given the books good (4-star) ratings. But, I never truly felt strongly about Bloodlines or The Golden Lily. The fact that I am a huge fan of Vampire Academy is what kept me reading.

So maybe my review doesn't mean much, to solid fans of the series. But it might for those who, like me, need a reason to keep going. The Indigo Spell was going to be my last chance for this series. I may be in the minority, but I am not a big fan of Sydney Sage. I get that she is who she is, but she also happens to be a character I found frustrating and boring. In fact, I found all of the characters, save Adrian, to be pretty forgettable. I'm not going to elaborate on how Sydney changes, but I will say that she didn't leave me needing to headbutt the nearest wall. I may never be totally in love with Sydney, but I like her a lot and now have mucho respect for her and her brave decisions.

Adrian is why I kept going. We all know that he is unbelievably witty and charming. I  never wanted him with Rose, but I wanted him to be happy. But what Adrian also is, now, is solid. Solid  doesn't mean boring, or that he is now a follower. Solid means that Adrian can be counted on, that when you need him, he will be there. (Sometimes with a drink in hand.) So yay (!) for Adrian's character growth.

Overall I found The Indigo Spell to be a much more enjoyable story than Bloodlines and The Golden Lily. I felt like the issues in the vampire and alchemist world were finally moving along and really rocking. I felt as though Sydney and Adrian were finally progressing. There is a whole witchy side story that I felt was unnecessary, but otherwise, I'm much happier with The Indigo Spell.

I totally loved the ending (!)  and will happily continue the Bloodlines series.


Favorite Quote:


  "Sometimes it's worth lingering on the journey for a while before getting to the destination."  ~pg. 337



Bloodlines (Bloodlines, #1)The Golden Lily (Bloodlines, #2)The Indigo Spell (Bloodlines, #3)



Purchase The Indigo Spell at:
Amazon   |  Barnes & Noble   
Photobucket

20 comments:

  1. This was great to read your review! I have felt the same way about this series AND Sydney. I Loved the Vampire Academy Series, but I haven't gotten into this one as much. Adrian is the main reason I keep reading them as well. I'm so glad to see you liked this one more than the last two. Now I'm more excited to read it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed this better than the other two! I've considered starting this series once or twice, but after reading your review, I'm not sure it would be for me. Good characters can make or break a book for me; if you found these characters frustrating, boring, and forgettable, I think I'll probably decide to steer clear. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said. I too loved the VA series and I liked Bloodlines and The Golden Lily, but they were both lacking some of the spark that VA had. Could be that Sydney is just "ok" to me. I lurve Adrian though. I'm encouraged by your review of TIS and look forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read this series either also. Thank you so much for your review. I am glad to read something other than just clues before I considered it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't read your review except the last paragraph because I would probably be totally lost. I haven't read any of the VA books (Unless you count the first 6 chapters of the first book) and none of the Bloodlines books either. I'm glad that you enjoyed this one better than the first two. Maybe I will eventually get around to these.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome review! I wasnt a huge fan of Bloodlines, but I stuck with it because I love VA and I love Adrian. But like you I never wanted him with Rose, I just love him. TGL was so much better and thats when I became invested in the story. But like you, Sydney drives me up a wall. I like that she is smart but sometimes she makes me crazy with her decisions. Glad to hear The Indigo Spell is even better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review. Three times a charm I guess if you enjoyed it more than the two previous. Can't wait to start the series.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad to hear that this book made the series better for you, Andrea. I'm a fan so this is even better news for me. I don't think you're in the minority with your dislike of Sydney. I think a lot of people don't. I think I'm the oddball because I've always liked her and her awkward ways. Nice to hear she got better for you. Can't wait to read this. Lovely review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review and I am glad you found your reason to keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I still need to catch up on all of this and read more of VA. I have only read the first two books in that series so I need to read the rest of that before I move to Bloodlines.

    I'm happy that you really started to like this series even if it took a few books.

    Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So I haven't started this half of the series. I had only just read the first half when this one started. I knew I couldn't wait between books if VA was in indications. So I'm waiting. Good to know I'm gonna have a book 3 pick-me-up. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I couldn't agree more! The series isnt even remotely close to VA. I was(and still am) completely addicted to the VA series! There isnt anything addicting about Bloodlines.The only reason I read it is to see if any of the VA characters make appearances.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm such a fail! I've never read the VA or Bloodlines series. Maybe someday I'll sit down and blow right through them. Love the spoiler free review.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I feel like the only one in the world who hasn't read the VA books or these ones. I did read the first VA book but it was so long ago I would need to reread to remember anything. I liked it, but wasn't IN LOVE or anything. But since so many love them I feel like I need to read them.
    I'm glad this one was good enough for you to decide to continue reading the series!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm obsessed with this series. Utterly obsessed. Cannot wait till it comes out.

    Glad to hear you enjoyed this one better than the first two.

    Thanks for sharing and I love the quote you included :)

    Jennifer @ Dream Reads

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome review...I'm SO glad this book turned the series around for you! I like Sydney, but I LOVE Adrian. He is definitely a good reason to continue reading these books! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. aw this review scares me. We often feel the same way and I bought both of the first two books in the series to read. I haven't gotten to them yet for some reason and now I am scared too. I haven't even read the VA series so I think that what has kept you going with it won't be there for me because I have no idea who Adrian is. THough maybe I will find him just as witty.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sydney does take some getting used to, especially after reading about the crazy and reckless and totally lovable Rose for 6 books. I love that she is slowly (finally!) changing and growing and starting to think for herself. And Adrian! OMG, I love him so much! I never wanted him with Rose either and the time when they were together I actually didn’t like Rose because she was stringing him along but I’m happy where he is at now. Loved this book and I thought it had more romance than the VA books.

    ReplyDelete
  19. HOLY FREAKIN CHEESEBALLS!!!!!! I am still completely jealous you got to read this. And yes I am a fan, but honestly I agree with what you said. I feel as if the characters in this spin-off and the plot in general are not up to par with what VA had. But, the one reason I am reading this is because of Adrian. I really want him to get his HEA. I'm glad you found this one to be more enjoyable and I can't wait to see how Sydney changes not only as a character but with Adrian as well. BUT I STILL DON'T KNOW WHO MARCUS IS!!! GAHHHHH......*Sigh* I just want this in my hands! lol ;p

    Fabulous review, Andrea! :)

    ~ Maida
    Literary Love Affair 

    ReplyDelete
  20. VA is one of my top all-time favorite series, and Bloodlines, not so much.. I have enjoyed BL, especially Golden Lily, but I agree with what you're saying. Sidney just doesn't have quite the same spark as Rose did. I thought Sidney became a teeny bit more exciting in GL which makes me super anxious to start Indigo Spell to see how Sidney's character continues to grow. I feel like I unintentionally compare Sidney to Rose, and because Rose was so amazing, I expect way too much from Sidney. I'm glad you're going to continue the series :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are bloggy food. Feed me!

Recent Post