Sunday, February 24, 2013

{REVIEW} FARSEED (SEED TRILOGY #2) BY PAMELA SARGENT

Series: Seed #2
Genre: Young Adult Science Fiction
Publisher: Tor Teen 
Publication Date: 1/8/13
Format: Paperback
Pages: 288
Source: Received from publisher for review.
 
FarseedCenturies ago, the people of Earth sent Ship into space. Deep within its core, it carried the seed of humankind….

More than twenty years have passed since Ship left its children on an uninhabited, earthlike planet. Zoheret and her companions have started settlements and had children of their own. But soon after their arrival, Zoheret’s old nemesis, Ho, struck out on his own.

When Ho’s daughter, fifteen-year-old Nuy, spies three strangers headed toward their home, the hostility between the two groups of old shipmates begins anew. Can the divided settlers face the challenges of adapting to their new environment in spite of their conflicts?




Wow, this review is kind of tough to write. The Seed Trilogy has so much going on, and I feel that without some background about book one, Earthseed, some who read this may be lost. To do that would require a lot of details, so check it out on GoodReads; I've provided the link to my review of Earthseed at the bottom of the post. Basically, I described Earthseed as Across the Universe meets The Hunger Games. Pretty cool, right? But don't think this book is a ripoff of those books, Earthseed originally released in the early 1980s, but has since been re-released and optioned for film.

Earthseed ended with the inhabitants of Ship (a spaceship built on an asteroid, with a motherboard that acted as mother/father/teacher), being let off on a new planet. While the humans were on Ship, they broke off into groups, led by Zoheret and Aleksandr, and Ho. Then....flashforward TWENTY YEARS LATER, and that's where Farseed truly begins. And, this is pretty great, the story sort of turns into one that reminds me of LOST (be still my heart). Aleksandr and Zoheret lead the groups in the North. Ho had led his followers South. The two groups initially got along, made trades, but still remained separate. But Ho is a loose cannon. He was very broody and defensive in book one, and I think life on the new planet, dealing with survival and the stresses that it causes, drives him insane. He's brutal, moody, and unhinged. He cuts ties with the other tribe, and will kill any of them who dare come near. When a group of three comes to see Ho, things don't end well, and he ends up banishing his daughter Nuy.

Farseed's main characters are the first generation born on the planet, which they call Home. The two MCs are Nuy and Leila, the daughter of Zoheret. The need to know what happened to the missing members of Zoheret's Northern group drive Leila to push her mother to take of group to the South. On this journey the group experience wonder, suffering, and death. When Leila's group discover Nuy, and begin to work together, changes are spurred and nothing on Home will ever be the same.

Honestly, I know most of this review has been a general summary of Farseed, and for this time, I'm okay with that. Most of the readers I know are not familiar with the series, and if I just sit here and say "OMG, THINGS HAPPENED!", that might not mean much. The writing was very descriptive, but not overly so. I could visualize life on Home, the people, the scenery, even the expressions on the characters' faces. Since the series does jump such a big amount of time, we do miss seeing the new civilization being established. In some ways I think I would have loved that, in others, I was kind of pumped to skip over that and jump into the new adventure. Either way, I really liked Farseed, more than Earthseed.

If you're into SciFi, or even if you're not so much (like me), the Seed Trilogy is so cool. The action, the dynamic between the characters, and the adventure kept me hooked. I can't wait to see how the series ends with the final book, Seed Seeker.



Favorite Quote:

  "I'll tell my children the story," Zoheret continued, "about how you brought us to life , how we grew up in your corridors until we were ready to live inside the Hollow." The Hollow was the name Ship's people had given to the vast open green space at Ship's center. "And I'll have to tell them all of the mistakes we made, so that they don't make the same ones."  ~pg. 9


The Seed Trilogy
 
EarthseedFarseedSeed Seeker (Seed, #3)
 
Click on cover to go to GoodReads page.
 

Purchase the Seed Trilogy at:
Amazon  |  Barnes & Noble  |  Book Depository
Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. Doesn't look like my thing, but glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not read this series, but dang I love that cover!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read this series either and I'm not really drawn to it. I think the reason for that is the age of the main character. I have a had time connecting to character younger than me, so yeah I don't think I'll pick it up. But, I'm glad you enjoyed it! :D

    Awesome review, Andrea! :D

    ~ Maida
    Literary Love Affair 

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard of this series, but I do enjoy science fiction. Thanks for introducing me to it. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to geek out for a minute and say that I LOVE space colony stories. Did you ever see that show back in the 90s about a space colony? I think it may have been called Earthseed. Anyway, I watched every episode, and it was totally cheesy! I'm going to check this series out for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are bloggy food. Feed me!

Recent Post