Friday, August 15, 2014

Audio Reviews: Attachments / Five Ways to Fall / Dead Witch Walking


AttachmentsSeries: Standalone
Genre: Chick Lit/Romance

Series: Standalone
Genre: Chick Lit/Romance
Publisher: Brilliance Audio
Publication Date: 4/14/11
Format: Audio
Length: 9 hrs, 7 min
Source: Purchase
Narrator: Laura Hamilton
Rating: 4.5 stars
 
 

"Hi, I'm the guy who reads your e-mail, and also, I love you . . . "


Beth Fremont and Jennifer Scribner-Snyder know that somebody is monitoring their work e-mail. (Everybody in the newsroom knows. It's company policy.) But they can't quite bring themselves to take it seriously. They go on sending each other endless and endlessly hilarious e-mails, discussing every aspect of their personal lives.


Meanwhile, Lincoln O'Neill can't believe this is his job now- reading other people's e-mail. When he applied to be "internet security officer," he pictured himself building firewalls and crushing hackers- not writing up a report every time a sports reporter forwards a dirty joke.When Lincoln comes across Beth's and Jennifer's messages, he knows he should turn them in. But he can't help being entertained-and captivated-by their stories.


By the time Lincoln realizes he's falling for Beth, it's way too late to introduce himself.What would he say...?


 
The short of it...

Attachments was LOVELY! It had an excellent premise, reminding me of a great chick lit/RomCom movie of the 90s/early-2000s. I love that it was set at the turn of the millennium (nostalgia!). Lincoln, Beth and Jennifer a won my heart. As did Doris! I love, love, love the unconventional love story and that Rowell did not take the easy way out. The ending was BRILLIANT.




And the narration was practically perfect. I would listen to Laura Hamilton again in a heartbeat. She brought each character to life, made each unique with her depiction. I would have loved to listen to Attachments in one sitting if possible. I am now a HUGE fan of Rainbow Rowell, and am preparing to devour all of her books.




I highly recommend Attachments!
 
 

Favorite Quotes
 
 
  “I’d know you in the dark,” he said. “From a thousand miles away. There’s nothing you could become that I haven’t already fallen in love with.”  

 
  “Lincoln?” she asked.
  “Yes?”
  “Do you believe in love at first sight?”
  He made himself look at her face, at her wide-open eyes and earnest forehead. At her unbearably sweet mouth.
  “I don’t know,” he said. “Do you believe in love before that?”
  Her breath caught in her throat like a sore hiccup.
  And then it was too much to keep trying not to kiss her.
 
 
 

About Rainbow Rowell
 
Rainbow RowellRainbow Rowell writes books. Sometimes she writes about adults (ATTACHMENTS and LANDLINE). Sometimes she writes about teenagers (ELEANOR & PARK and FANGIRL). But she always writes about people who talk a lot. And people who feel like they're screwing up. And people who fall in love.

When she's not writing, Rainbow is reading comic books, planning Disney World trips and arguing about things that don't really matter in the big scheme of things.

She lives in Nebraska with her husband and two sons.
 
 
Website Twitter  |  Facebook  |  Tumblr  |  GoodReads 






Five Ways to Fall (Ten Tiny Breaths, #4)Series: Ten Tiny Breaths #4
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Audio
Publication Date: 6/24/14
Format: Audio
Length: 11 hrs, 48 min
Source: Gift
Rating: 5 stars
 
 
 
 
Purple-haired, sharp-tongued Reese MacKay knows all about making the wrong choice; she’s made plenty of them in her twenty-odd-years. So when her impulsive, short-lived marriage ends in heartbreak, she decides it’s time for a change. She moves to Miami with the intention of hitting reset on her irresponsible life, and she does quite well…aside from an epically humiliating one-night stand in Cancun with a hot blond bouncer named Ben. Thank God she can get on a plane and leave that mistake behind her.

Football scholarship and frat parties with hot chicks? Part of charmer Ben Morris’s plan. Blown knee that kills any hope of a professional football career? So not part of the plan. Luckily Ben has brains to go with his knockout looks and magnetism. After three long years of balancing law school with his job as a bouncer at Penny’s Palace, he’s ready to lead a more mature life—until his first day of work, when he finds himself in the office of that crazy, hot chick he met in Cancun. The one he hasn’t stopped thinking about.

If Ben truly were a smart guy, he’d stay clear of Reese. She’s the boss’s stepdaughter and it’s been made very clear that office romances are grounds for dismissal. Plus, rumor has it she’s trouble. The only problem is, he likes trouble, especially when it’s so good-looking…

 
 
The Short of It....
 
First of all, I need to thank Nereyda at Mostly YA Obsessed for recommending FWtF to me. I'd won an audio giveaway from her blog, and when I asked her to pick a book out, she recommended this one. Good call, Nereyda, because I loved this book. I shouldn't be surprised I loved it, given that One Tiny Lie is one of my favorite books of 2013. I'm not sure why I haven't kept up with this series, other than "so many books, so little time".
 
For starters, the narration was excellent. This was my first time for both, but I loved listening to both Elizabeth Louise and Deacon Lee. Good narrators are an absolute must for me. I would listen to these two again in a heartbeat. In fact, I'll likely seek them out.
 
As for the story, Ben and Reese were great MCs. I liked their backstories, how they connected, and the friendship that formed. For the bulk of the book, they were friends more than anything else, though the attraction was strong. Both had good character development, truly growing and changing for the better throughout the story. There were moments that had me so steamed up, more that had me laughing, and a few that had me holding back tears.
 
Five Ways to Fall was an excellent conclusion to the Ten Tiny Breaths series, and my new favorite KA Tucker book.
 
 
Favorite Quotes

  “If you have to fight over a guy, he’s not worth it. Go for the one who’s waiting for you.”  
 
 
 
  “Have you always loved yourself this much?”
  “I had an awkward year in ‘ninety-nine, but I got over it quick.”
 
 
  I don’t think I’ll ever get sick of hearing her sing. Or talk. Or laugh, or bust my balls, or tell me I’m a jackass. And I don’t see how I could ever get sick of waking up next to her in the morning, or pulling all her clothes off of her at night, because I haven’t yet. It’s the exact opposite, actually. I just want her more. She’s everything I never knew I wanted. She’s everything I never knew I could have.
  She just . . . fits with me. So perfectly.




About KA Tucker
 

K.A. TuckerBorn in small-town Ontario, Kathleen published her first book at the age of six with the help of her elementary school librarian and a box of crayons. She is a voracious reader and the farthest thing from a genre-snob, loving everything from High Fantasy to Chick Lit. Kathleen currently resides in a quaint small town outside of Toronto with her husband, two beautiful girls, and an exhausting brood of four-legged creatures. Website  |   Blog  |   Twitter  |  Facebook  |   GoodReads 

 
 
 

 
 



 

Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1)
Series: The Hollows #1
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Publisher: Harper Collins
Publication Date: 7/19/12
Format: Audio
Length: 13 hrs, 14 min
Source: Purchase
Narrator: Marguerite Gavin
Rating: 4 stars
 
 

  GoodReads  |  Audible
 
 
 

All the creatures of the night gather in "the Hollows" of Cincinnati, to hide, to prowl, to party ... and to feed.
 
Vampires rule the darkness in a predator-eat-predator world rife with dangers beyond imagining -- and it's Rachel Morgan's job to keep that world civilized.
 
A bounty hunter and witch with serious sex appeal and an attitude, she'll bring 'em back alive, dead ... or undead.

 


 
I originally reviewed DWW in 2011. The first portion of my review is for the audio version, which I recently listened to.
 
 
I was looking for a good UF to listen to, but wanted one I knew I would like. I went with DWW because I enjoyed it so much the first time around. The audio version was great. The narrator was lively and her voice was perfect for Rachel and the gang. Her take on Jenks made me laugh. I'd forgotten how funny he was. I really enjoyed DWW this time around, maybe even more than the first. It's always nice when a previously liked book turns out to inspire the same feelings the second time around. This is an audio I definitely recommend! ***

And my review from 2011...


Dead Witch Walking is a book that I might have never found if not for the Preternatura Book Club ran by Suzanne Johnson at her blog. That would have been such a shame. Dead Witch Walking was a true pleasure to read.



The world that Kim Harrison built is truly ingenius. She has firmly woven the human and supernatural world into one unit. In the interest of not revealing spoilers, I'm not going to tell what brought about The Turn (kind of like The Great Revelation in True Blood), but it just makes me shake my head and laugh at the sheer brilliance.


Main character, Rachel Morgan is just so darn wonderful. She is the ultimate girl's girl, meaning a girl just can't help but love her. She is so, well, Rachel. If you've read the books, you'll know what I mean. She has the best of intentions, but sometimes, the follow through is flawed. She tends to jump into perilous situations without thinking. Most of the time to disastrous results. She is loyal and determined to use her powers only for good, no matter what. Rachel is surrounded by a tremendous "supporting" cast. I say "supporting" because in many ways they steal the book. Ivy is a living vampire. She is a compulsive over-planner, methodical and pretty much the complete opposite of Rachel. There is also Trent Kalamack, a shrewd, ruthless, and (grudgingly admitted)handsome businessman that Rachel is determined to bring down. Seriously, my face is scrunching up into an ugly grimace just thinking about him. Rachel and Trent play a dangerous cat and mouse game throughout the book. Each remains determined to maintain the upper hand. And Jenks. Oh, Jenks. I think I have a little wee crush on Jenks, the magnificent pixie. The little guy possibly has the best one-liners I've ever read. He is my favorite character in the book.


Truthfully, I did have a little trouble maintaining my focus through parts of the book. The parts of the book that kind of backslid into the world-building started to lose interest for me. I just felt it went on a bit too long. But with the world of The Hollows fully established, I don't think that will be much of a problem moving forward. This series has a cult-like following and I've heard that this series gets better with each successive book. So I am ready to jump into Book 2, The Good, the Bad, and the Undead with no hesitation.

 
 
Favorite Quotes
 
“Tink's a Disney whore."
 
  “What is it you want?”
  My heart pounded at his promise of freedom. I followed his gaze to my hands and the dirt under my nails. “You,” I said.”
 
 
About Kim Harrison 
 
Kim HarrisonKim Harrison, dark urban fantasy author of the New York Times bestselling Ever After, was born and raised in the upper Midwest. After gaining her bachelors in the sciences, she moved to South Carolina until the lure of snow pulled her back to Michigan When not at her desk, she is most likely to be found landscaping her yard or on the links with her mom.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 photo AndreaSig_zps3f75055b.jpg

9 comments:

  1. I really need to read Five Ways to Fall. And I love Attachments!! Glad you enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot wait to read Attachments!! I love the idea of this story and Rowell seems to be on everyone's instant-read list. I'm so glad you enjoyed it too. Also I gave up on Ten Tiny Breaths series after the first book, but now it doesn't seem like a good decision. I'll maybe get back to it. And Kim is on my TBR list and it sounds so good. Great reviews, Andrea :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a little afraid of the Attachments ending TBH lol but I have it on my Kindle (as well as Fangirl & Landline on my shelf) but I'm always afraid to read an author that EVERYONE LOVES. Instant pressure lol

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of these days I WILL read me some Rowell & that specific book from Tucker's series I want to read because CRISIS!

    Happy weekend, Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't like audio books honestly. I've listened to a few in the past that were just corny and lame. I'd rather read the books myself. Glad you liked these though. I need to get to Five Ways soon because I loved Ben in TTB!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had Attachments for the longest time! So I'm glad to see that you enjoyed it Andrea, it sounds like something I could be in the mood for about now. Also I've been in two minds about the Ten Tiny Breaths series, I think I may have to give it a go soon! Fab reviews Andrea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have 3 Rainbow audiobooks, but she's just one of those authors that intimidate me because everyone loves her. Kind of like John Green...
    I have this, Landline and Fangirl on audio though and do plan on listening to them. This one sounds fun.
    I'm so freaking happy you loved Five Ways To Fall, it's my favorite of the series. Elizabeth Louise is one of my favorite narrators, especially for NA books. Deacon Lee/Jason Carpenter is one of my favorite guy narrators. He's so good! He narrates Ugly Love and just blew me away. You should listen to the audio for that one.
    I love listening to UF on audio. And paranormal. My favorites on audio are the Georgina Kincaid series and the Chicagoland Vampires series.
    So happy you liked these!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great reviews, Andrea! You know I'm gonna read Attachments. ;) I haven't read any KA Tucker but she's on my tbr because so many people love her books. And I'm thrilled that DWW was a great listen. As you know, I'm new to audio so it's nice to get some recommendations. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it when the narrator is good. Great reviews.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are bloggy food. Feed me!

Recent Post