Tuesday, October 15, 2013

WAITING ON WEDNESDAY ~ LETTERS TO THE DEAD




Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.



This week's WoW selection is....
 
 
 
Love Letters to the DeadGenre: Contemporary YA
Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)
Publication Date: 4/1/14

It begins as an assignment for English class: Write a letter to a dead person. Laurel chooses Kurt Cobain because she thought he’d understand since he died young just like her sister, May, did. Soon Laurel is writing letters to lots of dead people—Janis Joplin, Amy Winhouse, Ameilia Earhart, Heath Ledger, and more—although she never gives a single one of them to her teacher. She writes about what it’s like going to a new school, meeting new friends, falling in love for the first time, how her family splinters apart after May dies. She even writes about the abuse she suffered—while May was supposed to be looking out for her. Only then, once Laurel has written down the truth about what happened to herself, can she truly begin to accept what happened to May, and to see her as the person she was: lovely and amazing and deeply flawed.

Trained as a poet at the Iowa Writers’ Workshop, Ava Dellaira brings a lyrical, haunting beauty to her prose.
 


Why I'm Waiting .... Honestly, I am super excited about this one because Kurt Cobain is in the blurb. Anything that mentions Cobain is going to get my attention. This story sounds completely beautiful and like something I will fall in love with.


So what do you think of my pick? Leave a comment and I'll be sure to come check out your WoW.
 

 

25 comments:

  1. This book sounds really good Andrea. I think the cover is beautiful and I enjoy reading lyrical prose. Thanks for sharing. Here's my WOW:

    http://www.abookishescape.com/2013/10/waiting-on-wednesday-39.html

    Lindy@ A Bookish Escape

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty cover! Sounds good and very deep and depressing possibly. Some heavy issues. Curious how May died and what Laurel went through. Hopefully the falling in love and other things in the letters adds some lighted-hearted feelings too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds awesome :) I have it on my tbr and can't wait to see what it's about!

    Janina
    My WW!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I already have this one on my to-read list and I'm pretty excited about it. I hope you enjoy reading it. Nice pick!
    Come check out my WOW post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love the sound of this one & the cover is beautiful!

    A nice pick Andrea :-) Sharon - Obsession with Books

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even though I'm not an overly huge contemporary reader this one does actually sound good. I love the cover as well. Nice choice.

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like such an interesting book. Thanks for sharing :)

    Happy Wednesday!

    http://www.itchingforbooks.com/2013/10/waiting-on-wednesday-69-snow-in-summer.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow this is the first I am hearing of this but it sounds spectacular. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OOh, yes. This one sounds really good! Great pick!
    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds like something I would like. Hope you get to read it soon!
    Brandi at Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Cobain! But seriously this sounds really deep and I'm on a deep diet for now. I'll wait for your review :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. First, I love that cover. Second, WOW....this sounds like one of those reads where you will need a box of tissues right next to you when reading.

    This sounds like a great read!

    Here's My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been seeing this everywhere, great pick

    Thanks for sharing (:

    Check out my WoW!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh gosh, Andrea, just the premise is beautiful. It's definitely a book I want to read.

    I'm looking forward Return, the last book in the Junco series. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds like it's going to be a really sweet and heartwarming book. Will probably need some tissues haha. Thanks for spotlighting this! I love the cover.

    Here's my WoW at Bookmunchies (:

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow that does sound good. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the description for this book, and can't wait to read it as well! Fantastic pick for this week. :)

    -Jess

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm really looking forward to this! I saw it a week or two ago and was instantly intrigued! And I think the cover is gorgeous! Great choice Andrea!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds like a tear jerker. I wonder if it's in verse. Kinda sounds that way. I do love verse. Great choice, Andrea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMG, this one sounds so awesome and unique and totally sounds like you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh that does sound different, interesting. Adding it to my ever growing TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just got this one!! I am really looking forward to it. (If you would like, I will send it to you after I read it. :) Just shoot me an email or tweet if you want.)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, this does sound good! I hadn't even read the blurb yet, so thanks for pointing out the Kurt Cobain reference. A must-read for sure, now! :D

    ReplyDelete

Comments are bloggy food. Feed me!

Recent Post