Sunday, October 27, 2013

{REVIEW} FIGHTING FOR YOU by SYDNEY LANDON

Fighting For You (Danvers, #4)Series: Danvers #4
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Publisher: Penguin Group
Publication Date: 10/15/13
Format: eARC
Pages:
Source: Received from publisher for review
Rating: 4 stars
 
Ella Webber has spent years uncomfortable around the opposite sex...
But as soon as she meets handsome Declan Stone, she is smitten. Quickly they become friends, finding frequent reasons to see each other around the office, and Ella longs for even more. So-with a little help from her friends-Ella resorts to performing a little seduction. One that Declan will never be able to resist.

Burdened by emotional baggage from his time in the army, Declan refuses to believe he's the right man for sweet Ella. Even if she makes him long for normal things, like marriage and family....But in his attempts to close off his heart from her love, could he have underestimated Ella's powers of persuasion?
 
I seem to have a real knack for picking up books, mid-to-late in the series. That's quite alright, though, when the stories are companions instead of continuations. It also works when the author does a nice job of writing a story that does contain back story and character history, but doesn't allow the reader to feel lost. Landon did a great job of this because not only did I enjoy Fighting For You, I want to go back to the beginning of the series.

Fighting For You is a fairly simple and very sweet love story between Declan and Ella. Declan is the haunted former soldier who's quiet and protective nature has captured Ella's interest. Ella is a sweet and formerly overprotective woman who's ready to live. Declan doesn't consider himself worthy of Ella, but Declan's the only one she wants. I was prepared for a long and drawn out tug-of-war between the two, but what I got was a low angst story of two people who find a way together.

As much as I enjoyed the story, I also really liked the writing in Fighting For You. I went into this story without a lot of expectations, only hoping to find a nice and easy story that would steal me away for a few hours. Not only did that happen, but I also found myself invested in the characters and in their happily ever after. I found not only Declan and Ella to both be engaging characters, but also the supporting cast, many of whom had their stories earlier in the series. These characters were funny and intriguing, and like I said, I want to know their stories.

Fighting For You was a story that I'd hoped to like, but found myself truly enjoying. It had me invested, and reading with a smile on my face. I can definitely recommend this to fellow lovers of contemporary romance.
 
Favorite Quote:

  "Don't even bother to doubt me, because even I run from the things in my head. So I can't make any promises to you, Ellie, because more than likely I'd end up breaking them. I'm not going to be the man you settle down with or the man who gives you a family, but, honey, I can be the man who makes your skin burn, your toes curl, and who makes you lose your inhibitions and scream. That I can promise you."   ~eARC, 13%


  He found it impossible to stay away from her during the day at the office. If he had an extra five minutes, he went by to see her even if he barely had time to make it there and back to his office. She calmed his rage, buffered his guilt and soothed his soul. She made every breath that he took sweeter.   ~eARC, 76%


Danvers Series
 
Weekends Required (Danvers, #1) Not Planning on You (Danvers, #2) Fall For Me (Danvers, #3) Fighting For You (Danvers, #4)
(covers lead to GoodReads)
 

 
Purchase Fighting For You
 
 
Connect with Syndey Landon
 
 
Photobuckete

13 comments:

  1. I have never heard of this book before but it sounds so good. I'm not a fan of this kind of stories but you seem to really enjoy it. Great review Andrea :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen this in my recs on amazon, glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review. This series sounds hot. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am SO into low angst reading right now lol I guess that's boring to some readers but I find myself just wanting to escape with two nice people looking for love without a shot ton of obstacles and stubbornness.

    Thanks for the heads up on this one Andrea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That would be shit ton lol My computer didn't want me to swear hehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. ha I know what it's like picking up a book that's accidentally in the middle of the series. Luckily most of these don't really need to be in order. At least you got the back stories and it was easy to follow. This book sounds very sweet <3 I think I'll look into this series. I love it when someone becomes invested in the character, means the book worked!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds wonderful. I love when a book just leaves you feeling completely content. And these series installments that can be read as standalones are always good too. Then I don't feel like I have to spend weeks catching up. ;) Great review, Andrea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well Andrea,
    You got my attention with this one! I am adding the whole list to my TBR. The quote had my toes curling!!! lol
    Thanks for always sharing great books with your followers.
    Talk Soon Friend, RO

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you enjoyed this one Andrea! I liked the low angst myself! It was certainly nice to read about for a change! :D And I also enjoyed the side characters from the previous books. I liked that we were able to connect with them but didn't have to read their stories first.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've loved this cover for a while now. I didn't realize it was part of a series. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes it's nice to have a simple story with low angst. I'm glad there wasn't a long drawn out tug of war between the two main characters. I always enjoy a funny and interesting secondary cast! This sounds like a great story! Wonderful Review Andrea :)

    Lindy@ A Bookish Escape

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have this one to read also, and I have the same habit of picking up books mid to late series, or just deliberately reading them backwards for some reason or another. I am glad to know this is a companion novel and it sounds enjoyable to. Nice review!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are bloggy food. Feed me!

Recent Post