Monday, July 15, 2013

COURTNEY REVIEWS: TRICK by LORI GARRETT

TrickSeries: n/a
Category/Genre: New Adult Contemporary Romance
Publisher: Self-Published
Publication Date: 4/23/13
Format: Kindle
Pages: 160
Source: Received as gift from author
Gunner Hunt—resident bad boy and town loser—made one smart, selfless decision in his entire screwed up life—he walked away from Harlow Mills.

He and Harlow had one summer of mind-blowing sex and passion, but Gunner knew he wasn't good enough. He loved Harlow enough to walk away.

It's been three years since Gunner stomped on her heart and left her broken, but when Harlow walks into the dive bar he now owns, that familiar spark reignites and burns through both of them.

Contrary to what Gunner thinks, Harlow isn't just lusting after the off-limits bad boy...or the toe curling sex they have. She wants Gunner back, and she wants him for good.

But some things never change, and even though their feelings—and their chemistry—are still going strong, the fact remains that Gunner’s world of motorcycles, booze, and a band of screwed up brothers is no place for Harlow Mills, card-carrying member of multiple country clubs and daughter of a millionaire.

Gunner has two choices:

Accept that Harlow deserves better than him, and walk out on her…again.

Or man up and learn to be good enough for the only girl he wants in his bed, and his heart.

Gunner tricked himself into believing he didn't need Harlow in his life once before...but can he give up the only woman he ever loved a second time?
 
So I had really wanted to read this after reading a teaser a few months ago, and  of course the cover is pleasing to the eyes! I wasn't really sure what to expect from the story though because the blurb is a little vague on the details except for Gunner breaking up with Harlow so make her life better.

First, okay what the ever loving f*ck. I mean, okay I get way too involved with these fictional people, obvs, but shouldn't Harlow be the one to decide who is good enough for her? You'd think yes, right? Wrong. He breaks her heart in a really kind of mean way, so I was a little concerned with her being so excited to go see him again when she moves back to their home town after three years.

Gunner has a lot of issues with how he was raised, the choices he has made, and what he wants out of life. He wants to be better, I think, but rolls through life for a while living up to what everyone already thinks of him. He can't resist Harlow and she finds a way to worm her way back under his skin. And the temperature goes up about 100 degrees in this book, almost as fast as he is able to get her panties off. I thoroughly enjoyed his dirty talk...for a while...though I must say if the pace hadn't have changed when it did I was going to start skimming...I know! Sorry, just being honest!

But!! The pace did change...they finally started talking about their relationship instead of just using sex and their passion to spend their time and it couldn't have come at a better time. This fact saved the day and made the last half of the book so enjoyable. And Harlow totally started standing up for herself with him being all caveman and if I could've gave a fist bump, I totally would have!!

There are a few other players in this story that I was super nervous about such as Rochelle (his sort of girlfriend) and Harlow's father. I was glad that for once after a bit of angst that these were resolved with a few adult conversations. Communication is key so if you take the plunge into Trick, I'd like you to know that you can expect drama and angst but nothing too cliche or over the top that makes you wish you hadn't!


 
Purchase Trick at:
(I receive no compensation for purchases.)
  



9 comments:

  1. Oh this sounds like a fun one! ALthought that whole "to make her life better" crap bugs me too. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds good, but probably not something I would pick up. Knowing that you would have started skimming if the pace didn't pick up makes me think I would have gotten bored with it. I don't have a lot of patience lol!! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really awesome review even if the guy on the cover looks like a jabroni

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I totally want to read this now, Courtney! :) Thanks for being honest in your review...and I'm so glad that the pace picked up and you ended up enjoying this so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh you make me giggle, I am glad she came around and that the pace changed! The cover is easy on the eyes

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that cover is pleasing to the eye. I don't know how I feel about guys walking away because they don't think they're good enough for the girl. Mostly, I want to kick their butt but some of me thinks it's sweet. Still want to kick their butt though. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Review Courtney, I'm glad the M.C. finally stood up for herself, and there was more to the book then just sex. There needs to be a good balance to make the story appealing to me. I enjoyed reading your observations.

    Lindy@ A Bookish Escape

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have this one too. Hmm....may not rush to get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This one sounds promising. Great review.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are bloggy food. Feed me!

Recent Post