Sunday, March 16, 2014

MINI-REVIEW: LOVE SONGS FOR THE ROAD by FARRAH TAYLOR

Love Songs for the RoadGenre: Contemporary Romance
Publisher: Entangled Bliss
Publication Date: 1/13/14
Format: eARC
Pages: 274
Source: Publisher
Rating: 3 stars

A rock star. The nanny. A love that could rock their world.

The only thing rock star Marcus Troy loves more than making music is his kids. So finding just the right nanny to take on tour with them is important—as is proving to his ex he deserves joint custody. Falling for his employee wouldn’t just be fodder for the paparazzi: it could ruin everything.

Too bad the perfect nanny turns out to be beautiful, vibrant Ryan Evans. Ryan’s never left her small Montana town before, so she jumps at the chance to see the country. And as much as accidental fame doesn’t gel with shy Ryan, what does is her relationship with her capricious, smoking-hot, shockingly good dad of a boss. Marcus is nothing like what she expected. But when the whole world’s watching them, will life in the spotlight be too hot to handle?

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/19549125-love-songs-for-the-road

I really like the premise of Love Songs for the Road - a rock star, single father hires a nanny to help care for his children while on tour. I've read so many rocker books, but none with that particular angle. And true to form with the Bliss line, it is a sweet romance that made me smile a lot.

When I think to my reading experience, I can definitely say that I did like this story. The two main characters, Ryan and Marcus were likable characters with good intentions. And though I'm a mom, I sometimes become annoyed with kids in books, especially when they are super precocious, but the children in this book were very sweet and played a nice - and prevalent - role. In addition to the characters, I thought the story was an interesting one because not only do we have a rock star and his nanny falling in love tour, but it also examines the pressures on the new romance from the media (not to mention the ex-wife). Even better, Love Songs for the Road deals with what happens when a normal woman who wants her own life and career, falls in love with a man who has a consuming career of his own. Ryan must decide how to pursue her own life goals, and still be with the man she loves, or will she choose him at all? I like that Ryan wasn't the one who had to bend to Marcus' lifestyle, that he must meet her.

Despite liking Love Songs for the Road, I can't say that I was swept away by the story. I've thought about this a lot, and cannot exactly pinpoint why. It was sweet, it had romantic moments, but I wasn't consumed. I think that might be due to a lot of off-page interactions between Ryan and Marcus. I'm fine with fade-to-black, but I needed a little more emotion to go on.

Despite that, I did like Love Songs for the Road. It was sweet, heart-warming and real.


Favorite Quote:

  He pressed his mouth hotly against hers. With their lips and tongues, they teased and flirted, asked questions and gave answers in a wordless dialogue. Marcus felt the heat of the desert sun warming their joined bodies. And the hollow, still emptiness in his chest--the bottomless well of craving and yearning that had been there for so long he forgot it existed--fill with air and light.



Purchase Links
Photobucket

14 comments:

  1. This sounds sweet but for some reason these Bliss books don't do much for me. Love this honest review

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, this sounds super sweet. Thanks for sharing, Andrea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good review. Sorry you weren't as swept away though. Still, it sounds like a nice story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do like stories that make me smile/laugh. Being swept away would have been better but at least you enjoyed it. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bummer this one didn't quite hit the spot, but I'm glad you still enjoyed it. I've been wanting to read this one myself, but probably won't get to it for awhile. I felt the same way you did about this book with another Bliss I just read. It's not that I didn't like it, but just had a hard time feeling the connection with the characters. Thanks for the review Andrea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a sweet story. It's too bad that it felt like it was missing something for you. Great review hon!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds cute overall. I do really like the premise too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to say for the most part the Bliss line hasn't wowed me. This sounds like a great story but I need emotional connection to give that something special I crave in my romances. Great review, Andrea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a sweet little story! I like that Marcus had to meet Ryan halfway in the relationship, and it wasn't all about him. I like when the female lead is independent, assertive, and ambitious. I'm glad you enjoyed this one, despite the fact that it didn't blow you away.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha I can see why it's lacking, sorry you didn't connect with it ;/ it does sound like a very sweet story and I agree for a rocker book it's very ...different

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree 100% with this review. i think I even mentioned the fade to black in my review. It's not that I need all the dirty details (I enjoy many books from the Bliss line) but in this case, I felt like I was missing an important part of their love story. Not the sex but the conversations and touching.

    I enjoyed it a lot but something kept me from really connecting to it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It does sound like a sweet read, Andrea. And I like that the kids are prevalent but not bratty. I'm sorry it didn't carry you away though. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds pretty good. I usually enjoy most of the Bliss books and all Entangled books, though I've read a couple lately that I didn't think were as great as some of the older books Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are bloggy food. Feed me!

Recent Post