Friday, September 5, 2014

A 3-Star and Some DNFs: Blurred, Frayed and Six of Hearts

Blurred (Connections, #3.5)
Series: Connections #3.5
Genre: Contemporary Romance


Series: Connections #3.5
Genre: Contemporary Romance

Publisher: Intermix
Publication Date: 8/5/14

Format: eARC
Pages: 145
Source: Publisher
Rating: 3 stars


GoodReads  |  Amazon  |  BN  |  iBooks



A Connection Series Novella featuring Ben Covington.


The story before the love story….


When he lost the only woman he’d ever loved, it seemed there was nothing left to live for.



Even as a boy, all Ben Covington ever wanted was to spend forever with Dahlia London, the beautiful girl next door...then one life-altering decision tore them apart and he was forced to leave her.


Now, despite having returned to win her back, he’s still alone. She’s with someone else—someone she’s never going to leave.


Resigned to a future without his former girlfriend, Ben numbs his broken heart in a haze of liquor and women. But then the only woman who ever even turned his head while he was with his girl reappears unexpectedly. And he’s never forgotten their one incredible night together. But will Ben’s destructive behavior destroy his future with her before it even begins?


My Thoughts

Blurred was okay, but not what I expected. No, I take that back. It was what I expected, but I just didn't find it especially compelling. It's pretty much a recap of Ben's life. We get glimpses of his childhood, relationship with Dahlia, the one night with Bell, his "murder", and coming home. We also find out where Ben was between Torn and the beginning of Frayed.
I hate that I didn't love Blurred. I like Ben and Bell, but just wanted...more, I guess.



Frayed (Connections, #4)

Series: Connections #4
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Publisher: NAL Trade
Publication Date: 9/2/14

Format: eARC
Pages: 304
Source: Publisher
Rating: DNF - 33% 
GoodReads  |  Amazon  |  BN  |  iBooks

My Reviews
Connected  |  Torn  |  Dazed  |  Mended
The Connections series continues with this spin-off novel.


He didn’t think, he didn’t question—he just acted.
What she wanted, she took—without regard.
It was only one night, but it changed everything.

After losing his fiancĂ©e, Ben Covington is unsure he’ll ever love again. But when he sees Bell Wilde, he’s so deeply drawn to her, that he’s thrown for a loop. Maybe it’s purely sexual chemistry that’s igniting this spark between them...or maybe it’s his second chance at love.

Bell has just gotten her life back on track and may not be up for the challenge of Ben Covington. But once they’re reunited, there’s no holding back—even if a secret from Bell’s past just might shatter them both.

My Thoughts

I am very disappointed that I couldn't get into Frayed. Unlike a lot of fans of the series, I don't hate Ben, and was in fact, very excited to get his story. I love when an author can make me fall for a much-hated character. My problem with Frayed was, I just wasn't hooked by 30%. Ben was fine, Bell was fine, but nothing was happening. There's a lot of backstory and setting up for the plot, and at this point, I didn't need the set-up, I just wanted these two to face their past, actually communicate instead of dancing around. Make something happen. It probably didn't help that I'd just read Blurred and between it and Frayed there was a lot of repetition.

I do love the Connections series and hope to give this another try when I'm feeling more patient.



Six of Hearts

Series: Standalone
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Publisher: Self-Pub
Publication Date: 7/26/14
Format: eARC
Pages: 358
Source: Author
Rating: DNF - 50%


GoodReads  |  Amazon  |  B&N

Step right up and meet Jay Fields: Illusionist. Mentalist. Trickster.


I think in triangles. You think in straight lines.

I show you a table and make you believe it’s a chair.

Smoke and mirrors, sleight of hand, misdirection. I trick and deceive.

But most of all, I put on a good show.

The world thinks I killed a man, but I didn’t. Bear with me. It’s all a part of the plan.

Revenge is what I want. I want it for me and I want it for her.I want it for all six of us.

She doesn’t remember me, but she’s the reason for everything. She’ll be my prize at the end of all this – if I can hold onto my willpower, that is. Maybe I’ll slip up a little, have a taste, just a small one.

So go ahead and pick a card. Come inside and see the show. Look at my hands, look so closely that you can’t see what’s happening while you’re so focused on looking. I’ll be destroying your world from right here in the spotlight.

You’ll never see me coming until it’s too late.

I’ve only got one heart, and after I’ve pulled off my grand deception I’ll hand it right to her.

So, sit back, relax, and let my girl tell you our story. You’re in for one hell of a ride.



My Thoughts
I was very excited to start Six of Hearts. I've read so much praise for Cosway's work and am still anxious to try Still Life with Strings and Painted Faces. But this one, it was just too slow for me. The first half of the book comprised of the main character, Matilda, making sure we know she's a plain Jane, nothing special virgin completely innocent girl who'd never attract the attention of a man like Jay. Jay, by the way, obviously wants Matilda. He spends his time, not so coyly flirting, showing us and Matilda that he's so smart, so smooth and so sexy. That's the story, or at least the first half. I didn't find the intrigue and suspense the blurb promises. Nothing to hook me. Mandi at Smexy Books reviewed SoH and found the second half is more exciting, but the ending to not be fulfilling. 




 photo AndreaSig_zps3f75055b.jpg

11 comments:

  1. I was one of the few who liked Ben as well, Andrea. I was actually more invested with him and Dahlia in the beginning that I was in the other guy. Can't remember his name now. I think because there was such a history between those two, but I didn't like what I found out about him later on. I didn't read the next books because I just wasn't blown away by the series.

    I've seen Six of Hearts around on Goodreads but haven't really taken the time to discover what it was about. I think I'll pass after seeing your thoughts.

    Great honest reviews! Hope your next read is better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of any of these. I'm not surprised as they don't sound like my cup of tea, but they do sound like something you'd enjoy. So I'm really sorry you did not. Great reviews, Andrea :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the first Karr book I'm that series but it just doesn't appeal to on any level or I would've started it by now..right? With these DNF's I'm surely not gonna pick it up now lol!

    I'm disappointed you didn't like 6OH because it did look intriguing. Oh well. Great reviews babe. Sorry they didn't work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually loved Connected, Torn and Mended. I'm blaming a lot of this one on mood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no. I still need to finish Blurred and read Frayed. I'm very worried now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh blerg.Yeah I need to be "caught" way before that myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well then, that's disappointing. 50% is damn generous though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blurred was kind of a let down for me as well... I was never Ben's biggest fan and he didn't really win me over. Frayed definitely gets off to a slow start, but I did enjoy it once the story stared moving... Great reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You sound like your in the same reading mood as me, it blows! DNF suck but at least you didn't waste more of your time #brightside

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmph, I'm sorry you got some stinkers lately, Andrea. I had higher expectation for Karr's books...haven't read them myself but was hoping they were good. And I'm really disappointed you didn't like Six of Hearts. I hope whatever you're reading now is rocking your world! :) Great, honest reviews, hon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am sorry these didn't do it for you, but when your' not in the mood...well your just not in the mood. Ben's story wasn't my favorite of the series, but I did enjoy it. I've liked and disliked him during the series, and he did really grow on me by the end, despite his moments of being a jerk. River and Xander's stories will always be my favorites though.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are bloggy food. Feed me!

Recent Post