Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Book Review ~ DEARLY, DEPARTED (Gone With the Respiration, #1) by Lia Habel

Love can never die.

Love conquers all, so they say. But can Cupid’s arrow pierce the hearts of the living and the dead—or rather, the undead? Can a proper young Victorian lady find true love in the arms of a dashing zombie?

The year is 2195. The place is New Victoria—a high-tech nation modeled on the manners, mores, and fashions of an antique era. A teenager in high society, Nora Dearly is far more interested in military history and her country’s political unrest than in tea parties and debutante balls. But after her beloved parents die, Nora is left at the mercy of her domineering aunt, a social-climbing spendthrift who has squandered the family fortune and now plans to marry her niece off for money. For Nora, no fate could be more horrible—until she’s nearly kidnapped by an army of walking corpses.

But fate is just getting started with Nora. Catapulted from her world of drawing-room civility, she’s suddenly gunning down ravenous zombies alongside mysterious black-clad commandos and confronting “The Laz,” a fatal virus that raises the dead—and hell along with them. Hardly ideal circumstances. Then Nora meets Bram Griswold, a young soldier who is brave, handsome, noble . . . and dead. But as is the case with the rest of his special undead unit, luck and modern science have enabled Bram to hold on to his mind, his manners, and his body parts. And when his bond of trust with Nora turns to tenderness, there’s no turning back. Eventually, they know, the disease will win, separating the star-crossed lovers forever. But until then, beating or not, their hearts will have what they desire.

In Dearly, Departed, romance meets walking-dead thriller, spawning a madly imaginative novel of rip-roaring adventure, spine-tingling suspense, and macabre comedy that forever redefines the concept of undying love. ~From GoodReads

From the moment I saw the cover of DEARLY, DEPARTED, I was in love. And when I read the synopsis, I knew this book had to be mine. So I put the lovely on pre-order and anxiously awaited for DEARLY, DEPARTED to make it's way into momma's (my) hands. But then, as usual, life got in the way. I became a slave to my reading schedule (by the way, have you ever heard a nerdier phrase than "reading schedule"?). Then I saw that a couple of my blogging friends were reading it and I decided that enough was enough. I picked up my copy and dove right in, hoping for the best.

I got the best. DEARLY, DEPARTED rocked my world! I started the book full of anticipation and never once felt let down. My enthusiasm is so strong that I feel myself veering into rambling territory, so I will try to keep myself reigned in.  Here's what I loved about DEARLY, DEPARTED.

Let's start with the world-building. The setting is year is 2195 and the setting is New Victoria. Earth and it's people have undergone huge transformations, sending what's left of the people into the southern hemispheres of the world. New Victoria is located in the northern portion of South America. In an effort to assert control in a world gone mad, the survivors have gone back to a time of order and refinement, a "Golden Age" in history, the Victorian era. So we have what feels like a historical time to the reader, yet it's the future. Women wear dresses with petticoats and corsets, carry parasols; couples "court"; manners are imperative. I felt as if I were reading a historical piece of work, until such things as "Holos" and "digidiaries" were mentioned. Or a character would say "freaking" or mentioned that their ancestors would use words like "duh" and "epic". Yet, and this is what I love, the setting is also futuristic... and it's steampunk. I loooove steampunk. There were airships and carriages powered by coal and a tribe of people called Punks. It was wonderful!

Now for the characters. Nora was an absolute delight. She is irrepressible, thoughtful, not easily intimidated. Imagine being taken in the night by zombies! Nevermind that these are the "good guys", zombies are freaking scary, no matter how you slice it. Yet Nora, ever cautious, takes a semi-calm and rational approach to the situation. Her best friend Pamela could have been an afterthought, the filler character. I actually expected her to have no true impact on the story. Was I ever wrong! Pam was a true heroine in her own right, absolutely worthy of her own book.

I'm not a zombie fan. They really gross me out, I can't even watch them on television without getting queasy. But I fell in love with the zombies of DEARLY, DEPARTED, the good ones at least. Due to a technique developed by Nora's father, some of those infected with The Laz are able to retain most of their human qualities. They have become a force in the Army dedicated to protecting the people. These are the zombies who have taken Nora Dearly and their leader is Bram Griswold. Remember how I said zombies gross me out? Strike that thought when it comes to Bram. I can't tell you if he's all that handsome now that he's two years past dead, but from what I can gather, he's hot for a zombie. But what I loved about him is his personality. Bram is gentle and kind, protective and enamored with Nora. His efforts to earn Nora's trust and friendship made me love him. Maybe my favorite part about Bram is his choice to let Nora make her own decisions. Instead of keeping her in the dark about events or trying to keep her from taking part, he includes her in the process and is resigned that she won't sit idly by (see my second quote below).

Author Lia Habel is a creative genius. Many stories take something beautiful, maybe a vampire forever frozen at a young age, and go from there. Habel took something we often consider hideous, because what's more gross than a zombie, and made characters so achingly human and beautiful. She never lets the characters or the reader forget that Bram and the others are, in fact, technically dead. There most likely will not be a happily ever after for Nora and Bram, but it is precious for however long it lasts.

DEARLY, DEPARTED is an alternately ingenious, sublime, and morbid take on everything I thought I knew about love and zombies.


Favorite Quote(s):

"She tried to compose herself then, with several deep breaths. I gave her as long as she needed, all the while mentally designing my tombstone. R.I.P., Captain Abraham R. Griswold. He was completely useless and made girls cry." (pg. 125)

"Returning my voice to a conversational level, I called back, 'Nora, I'm not attempting to embarrass you or single you out. I know you're capable. But stay behind Chas, okay? You die, you die permanently, and for various reasons that we've already gotten angsty about together, I don't want that to happen.' "




Hardcover, 470 pages
Published October 18th 2011 by Del Rey  

You can purchase Dearly, Departed at:
Barnes & Noble  |  Book Depository  |  Amazon

Source: Personal purchase                

24 comments:

  1. I am so, SO glad you liked this. I am so excited when anyone likes this book. It was one of my top ten of 2011, and I'm like DYING for the next book to get here already. Now we can panic together. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved this book SO much. If I had read this in 2011 and actually made a Top Ten list, Dearly,Departed would have definitely been on it. I can't wait to see what happens in Dearly, Beloved. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. OMG, I *love* that first quote. AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were so many great lines. Kind of like this book I read called Inhale. ;-)

      Delete
  3. I loved this one, too. (D'oh, I still need to write my review!) I mean, a zombie love story? Yay! I love zombies, in books and on film, and the creepier and more gruesome, the better. Have you read Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion? It was actually my first zombie love story, but this one is right up there with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a zombie love story. Who knew? I haven't read Warm Bodies, but I have read about it. It's being made into a movie, right? I may have to give it a go. You need to write a review for Dearly, Departed. I would love to see what you think.

      Delete
  4. I'm hoping to read Dearly, Departed soon, too. It sounds like a very unique addition to the zombie genre. You have me all anxious to read it now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're able to get to Dearly, Departed soon. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. I seriously love this book!! It was actually the first book I ever got approved for on NetGalley. I have a signed copy of it, and it's so gorgeous! I could read this over and over. Everything about it is amazing. Lia Habel is super talented. I am really looking forward to Dearly, Beloved. Awesome review! So glad that you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, a signed copy. Lucky you! I honestly loved everything about this book. I can't get it out of my head. Habel is amazing. I'm dying to read Dearly, Beloved.
      Thanks for stopping by, Amy!

      Delete
  6. YAY! Bram! *swoons* I was the same way when I started, I was like zombies ewww. LOL But but the end I wanted to rip off Bram's clothes and see his naked dead body LMAO Okay I know I'm weird but he was seriously really sweet. I especially loved his teddy bear and that he dressed up all fancy to take Nora to church for Christmas. Can't wait for the next one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love Bram! And no, that doesn't seem weird to me. He has one of the best personalities I've read. I love how he was so upfront w/Nora about his feeling. The teddy bear and church? Yes. So. Much. Love.

      Delete
  7. I've been wanting to read a good zombie book! But good zombies? I think I'll order this one next week so I can read it! Awesome review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad you loved Dearly, Departed!! It is such a great book, and made me think of zombies in a completely different way! I loved Nora, I loved Bram, I loved a lot of the characters, and I cannot wait to read the next one! Great Review!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK you've pushed me over the edge - after reading your excellent review, I've just fed Dearly, Departed into my Kindle!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree 100% with what you wrote in your review. I absolutely loved this book and I am waiting (well trying to patiently) for the sequel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wish they would post a release date. I'm dying!
      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  11. This is a splendid review! I'm going to have consider reading this one more, now. I wasn't sure what to think of it, since I'm not a zombie fan, but I love the Victorian era, steampunk, and futuristic settings. It sounds really rad, by your account.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cathy! I'm so not a zombie fan, but I really loved this. If you love Victorian,steampunk, and futuristic, Dearly Departed is definitely the book for you!

      Delete
  12. I'm glad you liked this book! I loved it too! And one of your quotes was my favorites too. I have it on my blog heehee. I fell in love with Bram. He had such a great personality. Great review Twinsie!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh dear!
    I have this book in my shelve and I read like 100 pages of it only. THe I put it aside cuz it was kinda slow. Now your review SO convinced me to pick it up again! I know the book is good. I haven read any negative reviews about it. But I think I wasnt in the zombie mood when I started reading it. Now you totally put me into it!!
    amazing review!! muah!!!!!!

    Dazzling Reads

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, this book sounds fantastic! The synopsis drew me in, and then your review on top of that convinced me. How nice to see an "undead" love interest that isn't a vampire! And I love the concept of high Victorian times in the future. Have you read any of the Vampire Empire books? It's steampunk in the future.

    Thanks for the review! I'm going to see if I can get this on audio.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are bloggy food. Feed me!

Recent Post