Thursday, August 8, 2013

REVIEW: UNDECLARED by JEN FREDERICK

Undeclared (Woodlands, #1)Series: Woodlands #1
Category/Genre: New Adult Contemporary Romance
Publisher: Jen Frederick
Publication Date: 4/28/13
Format: ebook
Pages: 260
Source: Received from author for review
Rating: 4.5 stars

For four years, Grace Sullivan wrote to a Marine she never met, and fell in love. But when his deployment ended, so did the letters. Ever since that day, Grace has been coasting, academically and emotionally. The one thing she’s decided? No way is Noah Jackson — or any man — ever going to break her heart again.

Noah has always known exactly what he wants out of life. Success. Stability. Control. That’s why he joined the Marines and that’s why he’s fighting his way — literally — through college. Now that he’s got the rest of his life on track, he has one last conquest: Grace Sullivan. But since he was the one who stopped writing, he knows that winning her back will be his biggest battle yet.

This is a mature New Adult book. I see that it is classified as YA - not sure how to change that - but I wanted to be clear that it has explicit love scenes in the story.
 


Undeclared has such a great premise: Grace, a high school girl, is assigned to correspond with a soldier. She is matched with Noah, barely out of school himself, and overseas. Thus begins a friendship that lasted four years, and ended when Noah turned Grace down when she admitted she had feelings for him and wanted to meet. A heartbroken Grace can't forget Noah. After two years, Noah is stronger, ready to find Grace, and win her heart back.

So between the potential of a truly special love story, and the fact that a few of my favorite bloggers (Hi, Courtney!) loved Undeclared, my choice was obvious. And boy, did it pay off.

Undeclared begins with Grace and Noah's first letters to each other, then moves ahead to six years later, in the present. I was a bit worried that jumping that far ahead would take away from Noah and Grace's bond, but that didn't happen. Chapters throughout the story opened with their letters, giving glimpses of who they were at that time and showing how their feelings for one another change and grow over the years. Grace's letters were always so supportive and Noah's broke my heart. This took me back to writing my cousin when he was stationed in the Middle East. Seriously, let's all go out and hug a service man or woman today, okay?

  I think what you feel on my letters is dust. I'm bummed that it is on my letters to you. They say it's sand, but it's finer than that. It's like the particles that make up the sand, and it is everywhere. When you get home on leave and wash for the first time, you have to stand under the water for at least twenty minutes, all the while watching the black dust collect and pool at your feet, creating coffee-colored water that swirls down the drain.
  I don't think you can ever fully erase the dust from your belongings. It sticks with you no matter how long you let the water wash over you or how many times you wipe it away. Like the tension I have in being weaponless and exposed back home, the dust is one of the many things I'll carry with me when I'm out.   ~46%


What I loved most about Undeclared was Noah and Grace. Grace, who practically grew up loving Noah, has never spread her wings. She's always played it safe. After having her heart broken, Grace is even more hesitant. Though she's always loved Noah, once he comes back into her life, she doesn't just accept that. He must prove himself to her. As someone who has only put her heart on the line once in her life, I totally get Grace. I love that for as much as she wants to be with Noah, Grace makes him work to earn back her faith.

And Noah? Sigh.... Just for the fact that anyone who risks their lives are pure badass, Noah immediately had my respect. But then you find out about his childhood and the fact he's never felt good enough, and I melted. Add to that the fact Noah has spent so many years loving Grace, and the past two working to make himself into a stronger man, and I was in Swoon City.


The bond Grace and Noah share, the dedication, and faithfulness to that connection despite the unspoken feelings and distance, won me over. It wasn't based on physical attraction, but on a deeper, soulful level. And even though it is tested many times over by hesitation and insecurity after they reconnect, this is the type of love that will always find a way. The romantic in me could not get enough!

I feel like I've said too much about Undeclared, but also not enough. Jen Frederick told a great story, and I didn't want to let these characters go after the last page. The books that make up the Woodlands series will each center around Noah's roommates. First up will be Unspoken, about Noah's best friend Bo (Peep!), whom I didn't even mention (FAIL!),  but trust me when I say that Bo is a fantastic character and you will want to read his book. The Woodlands series got off to a great start, and based on what I think is coming ahead, will continue to be a must-read series.



Favorite Quote:

  The Marines may have made me a man, but Grace made me human. No matter what I told her in my letters, she accepted it and wrote me back something funny or sweet. She made me realize I could have more if I wanted it. And I wanted more bad.  ~ebook, 17%


  I looked back at Grace. She appeared adorably awkward, folding and unfolding her arms as if she didn't know what she could touch. Everything, I said silently. I would show her instead.  ~ebook, 81%



The Woodlands Series
Undeclared (Woodlands, #1)Unspoken (Woodlands, #2)
(click on cover for GoodReads page)
Purchase Undeclared
       


Connect with Jen Frederick:
Website  |   Facebook  |  Twitter

Photobucket
 

17 comments:

  1. I read another review for this and marked it but your review makes me want to bump it up! I love a good military man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful review!! I definitely want to pick this series up now. Thanks Andrea!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Xoxo! I really, really loved this book. I can't wait to meet Bo either!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a heartbreaker. First of all long distance relationship/friendships or whatever it may be is frustrating to maintain especially when there are strong emotions involved. Plus the military theme is a killer, that first quote is profound.

    Braine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this sounds like a fantastic read and a heartbreaking one too. I love the premise and your review has me even more excited. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've really debated these two books. Might have to check them out since you liked this one so much. Thanks pal!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This story sounds so romantic! I can understand how Grace was hesitant about giving Noah a second chance! I'm glad she made him work for it. Well friend, your review totally sold me! It was awesome! I'm getting this book :) Thanks for introducing me to it!

    Lindy@ A Bookish Escape

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you liked this one Andrea! I loved how different the story was! That immediately gained brownie points with me. There were a few small things that bothered me, but not enough to really make a big deal out of them. I really liked Noah and I hated that he didn't feel good enough for Grace. He's all she ever wanted! Sigh! I can't wait for Bo's book next!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally added this to my Amazon wishlist. I love friendship to romance tales and then add in a military man and swoon...I am so glad you enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Phew! I was a bit worried when I started reading the review, Andrea. I'm so glad you loved it! This is a book that I've been wanting to pick up myself. Grace and Noah sound like such great characters and I love the premise. You gave us a fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember reading good reviews for this one. It sounds like a NA that I might actually really enjoy. I'm certainly curious so I'll hopefully fit it in one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great review. I've been curious about this one so your review helps :)

    Love the quotes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hadn't heard of this, but it sounds fantastic. Noah sounds like he's totally swoon worthy. Great review as always hon!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, this does sound great. Awesome review.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a copy of this but I put it aside because I forgot about it! I need to put it front and center again, because I love 2nd chance at love stories! Excellent review, Andrea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think this one does sound good. I signed up for the tour for the second book, so I'm hoping to read this one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds fantastic! And you seriously had me at love story! I can't wait to meet Noah and Grace and the way you describe their relationship it seriously does sound soo touching and heartbreaking. I want to know how their story ends and I can't wait to pick this up! Plus, I LOVE that cover! I'm so glad you enjoyed this, Andrea! Great review! :D

    ~ Maida
    Literary Love Affair 

    ReplyDelete

Comments are bloggy food. Feed me!

Recent Post