Sunday, March 9, 2014

REVIEW: FOUR WEDDINGS AND A FIREMAN by JENNIFER BERNARD

Four Weddings and a Fireman (The Bachelor Firemen of San Gabriel, #5)Series: The Bachelor Firemen of San Gabriel #5
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Publisher: Avon
Publication Date: 2/25/14
Format: eARC
Pages: 384
Source: Publisher
Rating: DNF
It takes a certain kind of man to stand out among the Bachelor Firemen of San Gabriel.

Firefighter Derek "Vader" Brown is one of a kind—six feet of solid muscle with the heart of a born hero. It's that protective streak that has him pursuing a promotion to Captain to pay for his mother's home care. And it's why he intends to figure out why his sometime girlfriend Cherie Harper runs hot as hellfire one minute and pushes him away the next.

Cherie's got it bad. Vader sweeps her off her feet—literally—and their chemistry is combustible. There's just the little problem of a nightmare from her past she was desperate to escape. And then her sister Trixie arrives, causing havoc for Cherie and the male population of San Gabriel. Cherie doesn't want her past to complicate Vader's life or his career. But there's nothing like a firefighter to break through all your defenses, one smoldering kiss at a time . . .

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18053041-four-weddings-and-a-fireman?from_search=true


I don't normally post DNF reviews. I typically write up a short reason on GoodReads, and leave it at that. I think I'm posting this one because I'm very curious about other readers' opinions on what makes you DNF a book.

I quit Four Weddings and a Fireman at 33%. This is a personal issue. I try not to be too sensitive, but I from Arkansas, as is the heroine. The way the family is portrayed -backwoods, cult-like idiots with stupid names- annoys me. At one point, the heroine's sister came onto the scene, and she was so ridiculous it was almost embarrassing. It was like watching The Andy Griffith Show, you know, when the Darlings came to town?


 


That just about sums up how this family was portrayed.

So yeah, maybe I am too sensitive, this just really annoyed me. If this doesn't turn out to be the case for the entire book, that's great. Please let me know, and I will try to finish.

So my question is, have you ever been put off by how your home state is portrayed? Or for any other reason?
 
 
Photobucket

10 comments:

  1. I can understand why this would bug you, Andrea. Being portrayed as a hick just because you live in the South would be offensive. I like small-town romances with quirky characters, it reminds me of the movie Sweet Home Alabama, which I loved! But if they're over the top it can get a little much. Sorry this didn't work out for you. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally get it why you quit. I wonder why people think it's okay to reticule places when it's not okay to do that to people?

    I think my state gets a rap just like others do. Colorado is considered a hick town, when it's so not. Mostly the books I've read that are set here get things pretty right.

    Sorry this happened to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I won't be picking this up either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My state is Kentucky so it definitely gets a bad rap, especially because people imagine the whole state to be full of the same type of people. Sure, we have farmers and people with strong accents, but we have a lot of other people too. It's a mix, like most states, I'd imagine. I can see why this book would have rubbed you the wrong way. Sometimes books just don't work for certain people due to these reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I try not to be too sensitive, but I from Arkansas, as is the heroine." Lol! Were there too many words for ya? I haven't read a book that made fun of my state and that's a shock

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was thinking about DNF's today, thinking that I rarely DNF and then realized that was so untrue. It is rare that I DNF on purpose. But the number of books I have gotten bored with and wandered away from is huge! Not a whole lot makes me DNF on purpose.

    One time I was yelling at a book (pre-Kindle) that the author was a nutjob and obviously had not done her research.
    The book: Fifty Shades of Grey (which one I don't remember)
    The reason: The car chase across the bridge into Seattle was completely unrealistic! LOL
    Anyone that has ever driven Seattle/Eastside traffic and the 520 knows exactly what I'm talking about. :)
    Seriously, I was fine with all the other stuff and was kind of, eh she obviously is a bit off her rocker and is writing a fantasy piece. But to not get the car chase right? UGH!! heh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know exactly what you mean, Andrea. I'm from Texas, originally, and we're often not favorably portrayed...at least in my opinion. And yes, if I'm reading something that's making fun or me, my state, my family...well, it's gonna turn me off. I haven't read anything degrading Colorado...yet. But that would bother me as well. The propagation of stereotypes is ugly.

    I have DNF'd a few books recently. I quit one at 23% because it was NOTHING like the premise. I quit the other one because - and you know I don't mind my smexy scenes ;) - but this one started with sex and the heroine spoke like a senseless twit. I just couldn't take it.

    I used to always finish books- no matter what. But I really like your motto of "Life is short. Read great books." It's true - there are so many great books out there that we shouldn't waste time on something that's not working for us...whatever the reason.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I understood why you DNF'd this book. The whole nasty stereotyping would bother me too, and be complete turn off!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm trying to think of Ohio books. LOL I'm not sure I can think of anything in particular, but I understand how you feel. I would probably take it to heart too. Sorry, babe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ah yeah I would understand why you didn't finish this one, I wouldn't like that either.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are bloggy food. Feed me!

Recent Post