Title: Make it Last (Friends & Lovers, #1)
Genre/Age Group: Contemporary New Adult
Publication Date: 11/12/12
In a small town, it's hard to recover from being dumped by your high school sweetheart. That's just what Briana has to do after Colin leaves her to follow his dreams. She focuses her energy into her friendships and the pursuit of her own goal of becoming a chef. Just when she finally feels like she's on the right path, he comes back to town.
Colin knew breaking up with Briana before leaving for college was the right thing to do. He was determined to leave small-town life behind forever, and that included his high school girlfriend. But when a sports injury puts him on the sidelines, he's forced to return home. Seeing Briana again brings back a lot of memories, and Colin wonders if he made the right decision. It doesn't take long for him to realize he wants her back, and this time, he wants to make it last.
The Story Behind Make It Last
- Make it Last is set in a small town in Texas. I chose not to give it a name, because I wanted people to be able to imagine it their own way. I lived in a small Texas town for three years growing up, so it's based off of that place.
- I did a poll on Twitter for sexy male names when I was writing my YA Contemporary Fantasy, and ended up using Levi for the male lead in that. Colin was their second favorite, so I used that name for this one.
- I was listening to a lot of Country music this summer, which is what made me decide that I wanted to write a romance set in a small country town. I wrote the first couple of chapters, then sent it to my friend, Raine Thomas, to see if she thought I had a good concept or not. She told me to keep writing.
- Make it Last was going to be a stand alone book. Then I started writing Kent and Rich and knew I wanted to find out more about them.
- I have always been a huge Nora Roberts fan and love her trilogies. I love how all three books feature all of the characters, but each one focuses on one of the love stories. That is what I am doing with the Friends & Lovers Trilogy.
- The first sex scene I have ever written is in Make it Last. I blushed like crazy while writing it. :)
- During the initial draft, Make it Last was called, Something New. Once I got further into the story, it didn't fit any more.
- The other title choices were This Time Around, Second Chance Love, and Possibilities. You can see why I decided on Make it Last, lol.
- Once I decided on the title, I knew what the last line would be. I also knew that I would want to do the same with the other two books as well.
Thanks, Bethany, for sharing these cool facts about your book. I'm looking forward to reading Make It Last in the very near future!
Purchase Make It Last at:
Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Smashwords
Bethany Lopez was born in Detroit, Michigan, and grew up in Michigan and San Antonio, Texas. She went to High School at Dearborn High, in Dearborn, Michigan, which is where she has set her Young Adult novel. She is married and has a blended family with five children. She is currently serving in the United States Air Force as a Recruiter in Los Angeles, California. She has always loved to read and write and has seen her dream realized by independently publishing her contemporary Young Adult series, Stories About Melissa. Ta Ta for Now!, xoxoxo, and Ciao are available now. Bethany is currently working on a Contemporary Fantasy YA and a Contemporary New Adult Trilogy.