Thursday, July 18, 2013

MY THOUGHTS ON: BLACK DAGGER BROTHERHOOD (1-3, 6.5), NIGHT PRINCE (1-2)

Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1)Series: Black Dagger Brotherhood #1
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Publisher: Signet Eclipse
Publication Date: 9/6/05
Format: Paperback
Pages: 393
Source: Bought
In the shadows of the night in Caldwell, New York, there's a deadly turf war going on between vampires and their slayers. There exists a secret band of brothers like no other-six vampire warriors, defenders of their race. Yet none of them relishes killing more than Wrath, the leader of The Black Dagger Brotherhood.

The only purebred vampire left on earth, Wrath has a score to settle with the slayers who murdered his parents centuries ago. But, when one of his most trusted fighters is killed-leaving his half-breed daughter unaware of his existence or her fate-Wrath must usher her into the world of the undead-a world of sensuality beyond her wildest dreams.


Damn, boys. Where have you been all my life??

I'm probably one of the last of my book loving friends to read this series. And I gotta say, I feel like a chump. I have a confession: I started reading Dark Lover back in early-2009. I didn't like it at all. I thought it was weird and had too much sex. For those of you who know how much I now love the sexy times in my books, stop laughing. In my defense, at that time, I had a baby, a three year-old, and I had no time for funny business like that.

Thank god those days are over because Dark Lover was HOT. I loved Ward's sexy vampires, with their no bullshit attitude and their aggressiveness. The Brothers are the kind of sexy bad boys I loooove in my paranormal books. It's all about the fantasy, yeah?

I'll go ahead and give credit where it's due. Autumn, thank you for pushing me to give Dark Lover another chance. And the jury's still out until he gets his own book, but the fact that you immediately declared me a Vishous girl just proves that you know what I want in a book man more than anyone.

So yeah...I loved Dark Lover. I love the writing, the world Ward has created, the characters, and most of all the Brothers.



Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #2)Series: Black Dagger Brotherhood #2
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Publisher: Signet Eclipse
Publication Date: 3/7/06
Format: Paperback
Pages: 441
Source: Bought
In the shadows of the night in Caldwell, New York, there's a deadly turf war raging between vampires and their slayers. There exists a secret bound of brothers like no other-six vampire warriors, defenders of their race. Possessed by a deadly beast Rhage is the most dangerous of the Black Dagger Brotherhood.

Within the brotherhood, Rhage is the vampire with the strongest appetites. He's the best fighter, the quickest to act on his impulses, and the most voracious lover-for inside him burns ferocious curse cast by the Scribe Virgin. Owned by this dark side, Rhage fears the time when his inner dragon is unleashed, making him a danger to everyone around him.

Mary Luce, a survivor of many hardships is unwittingly thrown into the vampire world and reliant to Rhage's protection. With a life-threatening curse of her own, Mary is not looking for love. She lost her faith in miracles years ago. But when Rhage's intense animal attraction turns into something more emotional, he knows that he must make Mary his alone. And while their enemies close in, Mary fights desperately to gain life eternal with the one she loves...


So after I read Dark Lover, I obviously wanted to dive into Lover Eternal. But, life got in the way, so I had to wait several weeks or so to begin. I loved the world and the characters, and wanted more, but I wasn't all that keen on Rhage's story. He's a cool character and all, but there were other Brothers higher on my radar.

At first, I was a little "meh" on Lover Eternal, but I can't exactly say why. Mary was alright, and so was Rhage. There was this whole other sub-plot with a new character, and at first I didn't pay a whole lot of attention, but about halfway through the story, I had a major lightbulb moment. I thought I just could not be right, my theory didn't make a lot of sense at all. But as it turns out, it's been confirmed that I am right, and I feel like a genius!

So anyway, about halfway through Lover Eternal, BAM, I fell in love. The story started really moving. I got to know Rhage better, and I loved learning more about his curse. Mary finally saw the light, and stopped fighting her love for Rhage, so then I loved her. We also get to know more about Phury and Zsadist. ZSADIST. I have a feeling his story is going to both break my heart and make me love him. (It's okay, Autumn, I know he's yours.)

The ending of Lover Eternal was just insane. Frantically reading, trying to flip the pages, wipe the tears and drink my beer at the same time was quite the challenge! Lover Eternal had one of the most intense endings I've read, and I loved it. I was literally shaking and holding my chest for about thirty minutes. Lover Awakened may kill me.


Lover Awakened (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #3)Series: Black Dagger Brotherhood #3
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Publisher: Signet Eclipse
Publication Date: 9/5/06
Format: Paperback
Pages: 434
Source: Bought


In the shadows of the night in Caldwell, New York, there’s a deadly war raging between vampires and their slayers. And there exists a secret band of brothers like no other - six vampire warriors, defenders of their race. Of these, Zsadist is the most terrifying member of the Black Dagger Brotherhood.

A former blood slave, the vampire Zsadist still bears the scars from a past filled with suffering and humiliation. Renowned for his unquenchable fury and sinister deeds, he is a savage feared by humans and vampires alike. Anger is his only companion, and terror is his only passion—until he rescues a beautiful aristocrat from the evil Lessening Society.

Bella is instantly entranced by the seething power Zsadist possesses. But even as their desire for one another begins to overtake them both, Zsadist’s thirst for vengeance against Bella’s tormentors drives him to the brink of madness. Now, Bella must help her lover overcome the wounds of his tortured past, and find a future with her…

Ah, Zsadist... this is the story I was warned would break my heart. Zsadist was not a likeable character in the first two books of the series, and Lover Awakened explains exactly why. His backstory was way more brutal and horrific than I imagined, and yes, my heart did break for him. But the story was also very uplifting, thanks to the amazing Bella.
Bella and Zsadist had amazing chemistry in Lover Eternal. But she also had chemistry with his twin brother Phury. This had me worried that Lover Eternal was going to be the push-and-pull between the three characters. Though it had a few moments (poor Phury), thankfully that's not the route the story took. The story begins with the search for Bella after her abduction at the end of Lover Eternal, and Z's desperation to find her and refusal to give up. Once she's been rescued, that's when the heart of the story truly begins.
Lover Awakened was a gorgeous, and tough, love story. Bella knows she wants Z, but he is more than reluctant to become involved with her. Years as a blood slave abused his body and killed Z's spirit. He truly believes he is not worthy of Bella, and will taint her. Bella was a strong woman who refuses to accept his dismissal, knowing that he is a male of worth. Her love for Z was just really, really beautiful. I loved that she stood up to and for him.
Lover Awakened is also Z's reckoning with his past. Throughout the story, his story is told, clueing the reader into why he became so cold and deadly. Not only is it Z's story to be told, but also Phury's. Gosh, I felt so bad for him, and can't wait to see him find happiness, too.
As sad and romantic and scary as Lover Awakened was, it had the sweetest ending. I was left teary-eyed, smiling, and pumped to read Z and Bella's novella, Father Mine.

Father Mine: Zsadist and Bella's Story (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #6.5)Series: Black Dagger Brotherhood #6.5
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Publisher: NAL
Publication Date: 10/7/08
Format: Kindle
Pages: 91
Source: Gift


Readers met and fell in love with Zsadist and Bella in J. R. Ward's third New York Times bestselling novel in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series, Lover Awakened.
As a former blood slave, Zsadist bore the scars from a past filled with suffering and degradation until Bella came along and helped heal his emotional wounds. Now, though, with the birth of their child, the demons of his past have been resurrected, called forth by the innocent eyes of his beloved daughter, Nalla. Unless Bella and Nalla can bring him back with their love, he may be lost to them forever.

*happy sigh* I loved Father Mine! In fact, I will say that it is my favorite book of the series so far.
And yes, I read it out of order, I didn't realize until after I'd started. And yes, there were some spoilers, but I still loved it. Father Mine is what happens after Happily Ever After, the story that happens between the "end" of Lover Awakened and the epilogue that takes place sixteen months later.

I knew that Zsasdist had overcome his past enough to be with Bella, but I was very curious as to how that would play out in his daily life, and with a family. Father Mine was dark. It went more into his past as a Blood Slave, how he's still haunted by it, and his fears as to how it will play a part in the future. And even though this is about vampires, the family and marriage aspect of the story is one that is very relatable.

Father Mine was absolutely brilliant. It made me laugh, get steamed up at the hotness, and yeah, I cried. I loved it.





Once Burned (Night Prince, #1)Series: Night Prince #1
Category/Genre: Adult Paranormal Romance
Publisher: Harper Audio
Publication Date: 6/26/12

Narrator: Tavia Gilbert
Format: Audiobook
Source: Purchased


 
She's a mortal with dark powers...

After a tragic accident scarred her body and destroyed her dreams, Leila never imagined that the worst was still to come: terrifying powers that let her channel electricity and learn a person's darkest secrets through a single touch. Leila is doomed to a life of solitude...until creatures of the night kidnap her, forcing her to reach out with a telepathic distress call to the world's most infamous vampire...

He's the Prince of Night...

Vlad Tepesh inspired the greatest vampire legend of all—but whatever you do, don't call him Dracula. Vlad's ability to control fire makes him one of the most feared vampires in existence, but his enemies have found a new weapon against him—a beautiful mortal with powers to match his own. When Vlad and Leila meet, however, passion ignites between them, threatening to consume them both. It will take everything that they are to stop an enemy intent on bringing them down in flames.


As a huge fan of Jeaniene Frost, I am upset with myself for falling so behind on her books. I've owned the Once Burned audiobook since the day it release, and own a paperback, but just kept putting it off. Maybe it's because while I've always liked Vlad Tepesh as a secondary character, I wasn't sure that I was super excited to see him as a leading man?

Whatever the reason, I'm glad I finally listed to Once Burned. It always takes me a while to get fully invested in the spin-offs of the Night Huntress series, especially when each hero (Mencheres, Spade) gets only one book. But knowing that Vlad and his new lady Leila get three books helped me latch on to their story. Honestly, I really liked this story, but only the basics stuck with me. I'm not sure if that's because I listened over a long period of time, was easily distracted, or I just didn't fall overly in love with the story. This story basically goes along the same path as the Night Huntress World series books, vampire meets human, she's in danger, he takes her in, there's something physically "different"about her that makes her more adaptive to the supernatural world, they fall in love while battling the bad guys. In Leila's case, she can shock other's and can read thoughts. But still, this is Jeaniene Frost here, and I always enjoy her books.

I have to say, Tavia Gilbert is by far my favorite narrator. She always brings a sense of enthusiasm and life to the stories she narrates. She does a great job of differentiating the characters with her voice. Listening to Gilbert makes the audio even more enjoyable than physically reading the books, and that is  rare.

Even though I didn't love love Once Burned, I did like it a lot, and as soon as I finished, I opened up Twice Tempted.



Twice Tempted (Night Prince, #2)Series: Night Prince #2
Category/Genre: Adult Paranormal Romance
Publisher: Harper Audio
Publication Date: 3/26/13

Narrator: Tavia Gilbert
Format: Audiobook
Source: Purchased

Leila's psychic abilities have been failing her, and now she isn't sure what the future holds. If that weren't enough, her lover, Vlad, has been acting distant. Though Leila is a mere mortal, she's also a modern woman who refuses to accept the cold shoulder treatment forever–especially from the darkly handsome vampire who still won't admit that he loves her.

Like choosing between eternal love and a loveless eternity...

Soon circumstances send Leila back to the carnival circuit, where tragedy strikes. And when she finds herself in the crosshairs of a killer who may be closer than she realizes, Leila must decide who to trust– the fiery vampire who arouses her passions like no other or the tortured knight who longs to be more than a friend? With danger stalking her every step of the way, all it takes is one wrong move to damn her for eternity.
 

I feel like a complete jerk saying this, but I just do not care about Vlad, Leila, or this series anymore. I didn't hate it. I didn't even find it to be poorly written or narrated. I just didn't care. I had to make myself listen to it while traveling. I was just bored.

 I will attribute some of that to not being a huge fan of Vlad's in any capacity, be it this series or Night Huntress. I can also say that Leila annoyed me. I am not easily annoyed by heroines. I just found her to be so grating. She left Vlad because he wouldn't say he loved her, then when he came back into her life, she guilted him endlessly. Then, when he said "Okay, I love you. Now let's get married," she was like "No. Wait! This is too sudden." At that point, I said "Enough."

It really pains me that I don't care that much for this series, because I am a huge fan of Jeaniene Frost's. Huge. But yeah, I think I may be done with this series. Or not. I guess time will tell...


Photobucket

19 comments:

  1. I still need to start the Black Dagger Brotherhood series and I dont know what I am waiting for. So many people love it and it seems right up my alley. One of these days. Great reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dark lover is my favorite even though Z's story is the best. I'm a Wrath girl what can I say. I'm so glad you joined us, but Phury's bokk I inPHURYating haha get it? Great reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love V, his story is my favorite so I hope you love him once you get to spend a whole book with him!
    Glad that you came around and gave Dark Lover another chance because the series is really great.

    Aw that is too bad about Vlad's books. I really like him in the Night Huntress Series and so I already own his books but now I'm wondering if they are going to be worth the effort.

    Thanks for the great reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You aren't the only one, I haven't read these yet either, but when I cross over to adult, one of the first on my list

    ReplyDelete
  5. #BDB HOLLA!!!!!!! I'm so happy you gave it another try. I loved this "I had no time for funny business like that." There are some really great characters in this series. And I stand firm...I still think you'll love V.

    I'm sad that you are left feeling unsatisfied by Vlad's story. I still need to read the last Night Huntress book, so I haven't started these. I think I have the first one. Bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read them yet - so you are not the last. AND I'm still laughing...hehe. Sorry, pal I can't stop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Reviews!
    I read Dark Lover a few months ago & loved it but for some reason I still haven't got around to reading the rest of them. Reading your post definitely makes me want to pick the series back up though :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also haven't started the Black Dagger Brotherhood series although I have heard nothing but amazing news about them. Reading your reviews made me want to pick them up again... so I think I might! Thanks for your reviews :)

    Kayla @ K.G. INC

    ReplyDelete
  9. HOLY CRAP I almost choked on my coffee YOU-in the past--NOT LIKING SEX in your books--Shocking!! BUT, I was the same way when my littles were smaller I never even had time to read, let alone read about sex! I was too busy trying not to have sex LOL 4 kids in 5 yrs. YEP I WAS BUSY!! Now, I can't get enough of it (in my books and well ya know... ;) I love BDB but never got past Z's book *loved that brother* and I HATED Vlad's story and had NO desire to start the 2nd. book!! I want MORE Bones great reviews, kitten ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay! for catching up on BDB. You'll have to let me know what you think of the other books. It's started getting a little uneven for me but I keep reading anyway lol

    Vlad has never appealed to me. I have both of these books but I've been putting them off. I have a feeling I'm going to feel the same as you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are both series that I really want to read. Someday I will get to them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved the BDB books. I agree with you though. I thought Dark Lover started out a little strange. Or maybe I wasn't strange enough, yet??? But, I got there, and I devoured the every one of them last summer and waited with baited breath for the one that came out this winter. Great reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, lots of new reviews!! I'm glad you are enjoying your latest series. I've heard of Black Dagger Brotherhood, but I didn't know a lot about it. Sounds like a pretty great series.

    ReplyDelete
  14. *raises hand* as the last person left who hasn't read Black Dagger Brotherhood and wants too..love your reviews. I love Vlad, but early reviews made me shy away from this off-spin and well your thoughts only confirm it was a good decision. Spectacular post Andrea!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gah! I'm a HUGE Zsadist fan, Andrea. I'm not caught up on the series and I haven't read Father Mine, but I have to say that of all the BDB books I have read, Lover Awakened is my favorite! *sigh*

    I haven't read Vlad's series yet, although I, too, am a big fan of Jeaniene Frost. But your reviews give me pause...or at least make me feel better for not having read them yet. I know I will read them though...at some point.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Andrea!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't read either of these series either, though the first one does appeal to me and I will definitely be adding it to my ever growing list. It's been a while since I've read about vampires, and these sure sound like some sexy ones. I think I might pass on the second series. I am sorry it was boring. Great reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am in LOVE with Zsadist! What a gorgeous man! I actually have read almost all the books in the BDB series and I don't know why I stopped. After your reviews, I am totally thinking of re-satrting these books! I'm so glad you continued on with the series. They are awesome! :)

    Sorry the Night Prince series didn't work for you! :( I have it on my TBR but after your reviews, I don't think I'll get around to them any time soon!

    Awesome reviews, Andrea! :D

    ~ Maida
    Literary Love Affair 

    ReplyDelete
  18. BDB is another series I'm behind on. I'm totally laughing at your first impressions of Dark Lover! I guess it's hard to read about sexy times when you don't have any desire to have any!! Sleep is priority when you have kids that age! Lol! I read through Zsadist's story and I've enjoyed them. I don't like the switch in POVs to the lessers and I usually skim through those bits. I've read two of Jeanne Frost's series. Someday I'll get back to these. Great reviews. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ok. I have been wondering about BDB for quite some time and was wondering whether or not I would like it! I think I'm going to give them a shot after reading your reviews!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are bloggy food. Feed me!

Recent Post