Today is The Bookish Babe's stop on A Shot of Sultry Blog Tour. I would like to thank Sourcebooks for inviting me to take part. My stop includes a review, a FUN guest post from author Macy Beckett, and a giveaway of book one in the series, Sultry with a Twist.
Series: Sultry Springs #2
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
Publication Date: 3/5/13
Source: Received from publisher for review.
Welcome to Sultry Springs, Texas: where home can be the perfect place for a fresh start.
For West Coast filmmaker Bobbi Gallagher, going back to Sultry Springs is a last resort. But with her career in tatters, a quick trip to her hometown might get her the footage she needs to salvage her reputation. She just can't let anything distract her again. Not even the gorgeous contractor her brother asked to watch over her. As if she can't handle filming a few rowdy Texans.
Golden boy Trey Lewis, with his blond hair and Technicolor-blue eyes, is a leading man if Bobbi ever saw one. He's strong and confident and--much to her delight--usually shirtless. He thinks keeping his best friend's baby sister out of trouble will be easy. But he has no idea of the trouble in store for him...
A small town love story that will make you laugh, cry, and swoon.
Okay, how did I not about the Sultry Springs series before now?! I am seriously bummed that I've been missing out on all the fun. A Shot of Sultry works as a stand alone, but you better believe that I am so going to get book one, A Twist of Sultry, as soon as possible. In the Sultry Springs series, author Macy Beckett offers up a slice of small town life, where the laughs come often and the romance is hot, hot, HOT.
Why did I adore A Shot of Sultry so much? For starters, the story, and the style, was fun. Beckett did a fabulous job of incorporating Southern dialogue and the ridiculous phrases we Southerners use on a daily basis, without making her characters cartoonish. Sultry Springs is a very small town, in a dry county, where a lot of the social activities revolve around the church. I can identify with this lifestyle to a ridiculous degree, it's almost as if A Shot of Sultry was based on my hometown.
A Shot of Sultry is about Bobbi Gallagher and Trey Lewis. Bobbi left town, due to tragic circumstances, as a small child. After a horrible childhood, she built herself a great life in California. After being duped, Bobbi has ended up broke and alone. With a chance to earn a second shot at her career, Bobbi heads to Sultry Springs to reunite her long-lost brother Luke, while filming a dating reality show.
The man Bobbi wants as her subject? Trey Lewis, her brother's best friend. Trey agrees, but Luke puts his baby sister off-limits to the sexy former soldier. Trey has made a great life for himself in Sultry Springs, but the discharge he received from the Service has left a blemish on his life. The son of a career Army man, who's in the midst of a nasty divorce with his mom, Trey's only choice is to head to the Middle East and work towards having his record cleared. But when Bobbi walks into Trey's life, he begins to have second thoughts about his upcoming duty, and to his perpetual bachelorhood.
I loved Bobbi and Trey together! Due to her horrible childhood, Bobbi has trust and control issues. She uses her amazing organizational skills to help calm herself, and continually locks her doubts and fears away. She doesn't see herself fitting in in Sultry Springs, or having a relationship with Trey, but is all for a summer romance. Trey, because of being burned by love and his parents' messed up marriage, never wants to settle down. But Bobbi's spririt (and luscious thighs, lol) capture his attention, and he can't stay away from her. I can't even describe how much I loved Trey! He's honorable, has a fantastic sense of humor, he's a great friend, and a great mentor. Trey is my favorite type of guy: a good guy with a wicked, naughty streak. And wow, does Trey know his way around a lady. Seriously, when I'm given a good guy, a guy who has that sort of a wild streak, y'all can keep your bad boys. Sigh....
A Shot Sultry gave me everything I love in Contemporary Romance: endearing characters, a story that pulls at my heart, and a romance that makes me cheer and swoon. Oh! And a fantastic Happy Ever After. I will be eagerly snapping up the rest of the Sultry Springs series. Look out, Macy Beckett, you have a new fan(girl)!
Good Lord, what kind of kinky sh*t is this girl into? Trey didn't care how hot she was, threesomes were off the menu, especially when another dude was involved. The risk of crossing swords was too high. Plus, nobody liked boldly going where their friends had just gone before. ~ARC, pg 12
"Trust me," he said, and she opened her eyes to his heavy-lidded gaze, so filled with concern that she couldn't doubt his intentions. His face shown with beauty and lust, wheat-colored strands falling over his forehead as he fought for oxygen, clearly every bit as aroused as she was. "Let me make you forget how to breathe." ~ARC, pg 225
Sultry Springs Series
Click on the cover for GoodReads page
Ten Fun Facts About the Sultry Springs Series
1. The town is anchored by the Holy Baptism by Hellfire Church, and yet my characters sin like it’s a job. Makes an interesting dichotomy, don’t you think?
2. Sultry Springs is located in a dry county. No booze for you! (Why? See #1)
3. Each heroine in the series gets a turn driving “Bruiser,” a dilapidated, purple spray-painted hatchback that moves like it’s powered by hamsters. (Because haven’t we all driven a beater like that at some point?)
4. The population of Sultry Springs = “975 righteous souls.” (Again, see #1)
5. I drew inspiration from my own experiences living in tiny Southern towns when writing the Sultry Springs series. During college I lived in a town called Red Rock, Texas, which at the time sported one paved road and a post office.
6. June’s pet cat, Lucky, makes several appearances in the series. It’s an ironic name, considering Lucky has only three legs and wets himself when startled.
7. Two of my heroes operate Helping Hands, a non-profit organization that repairs homes for the less-fortunate. They’re good guys…even if they’re naughty sometimes.
8. My characters spend a lot of time at Shooters, the bar in the next county, which is now owned by June and Luke Gallagher (the heroine and hero in SULTRY WITH A TWIST). And yes, June added that mechanical bull she talked about in book one!
9. Even though Sultry Springs is a quirky place, the community is tight-knit and they take care of each other. They’ve got big hearts. Big, quirky hearts.
10. If you love hot, humorous small-town romance, I’m sure you’ll enjoy your time in Sultry Springs. Come stay a spell!
** How fun was that?! Sultry Springs sounds shockingly like my own hometown. **
About the author:
Macy Beckett writes hot and humorous romance set in Sultry Springs, Texas: where first loves find second chances. Her debut novel, SULTRY WITH A TWIST, released last October, and book two, A SHOT OF SULTRY, is now available in stores and online. The third Sultry Springs novel, SURRENDER TO SULTRY, will release in August. Additionally, Macy writes young adult science fiction under the name Melissa Landers. You can learn more about her books—for adults and teens—on her website.
Connect with Macy Beckett at:
Purchase A Shot of Sultry at:
Amazon | Barnes and Noble | Books-a-Million | IndieBound | Chapters/Indigo | Discover a New Love | Sourcebooks
Sourcebooks Casablanca is offering one copy of Sultry with a Twist (Sultry Springs #1) to one lucky winner. This giveaway is open to US only. Entrants must be 18+ years of age.