Tuesday, October 23, 2012

{REVIEW}SAM CRUZ'S INFALLIBLE GUIDE TO GETTING GIRLS by TELLULAH DARLING

Sam Cruz's Infallible Guide to Getting GirlsSeries: N/A
Genre: Contemporary YA
Publisher: Te Da Media
Publication Date: 10/17/12
Format: eARC
Pages: 244
Source: Received from publisher, via Edelweiss.




Why the hell can’t chicks be more like guys?

That question plagues high school senior Sam Cruz. Sam is perfectly happy being a player. He just wishes girls wouldn’t change the game from sex to relationships. It makes him look like an asshole. But when Sam’s best friend, Ally Klinger, gets dumped, she begs him to transform her into someone who can screw around then screw off. No risk of heartbreak that way. It’s Sam’s chance to create the perfect female AND cheer up his best friend. Armed with Sam’s Three Step Guide to Backseat Success, Ally gets the game better than Sam thought she would and before long, Sam has his wish: the female version of himself. Too bad it’s driving him nuts. Told from Sam’s and Ally's alternating POVs, Sam Cruz’s Infallible Guide to Getting Girls is a fast-paced romantic comedy that follows these teens as they navigate the minefield of sex, love, and friendship.

This book contains strong language, drinking, euphemisms, and lots of “bow chicka wow wow.”
 

Why I  Read Sam Cruz's Infallible Guide:

Ellen at Always YA at Heart reviewed this recently and her review convinced me that I must read this book!


I am a huge fan of those classic teen movies in which the coolest guy in school gives a hopeless nerdy, but adorable, girl a makeover. Once the magic has been worked, the boy then realizes how beautiful the girls is, what a catch she was all along, and falls ridiculously in love with her. The first movie that comes to mind is She's All That, with Freddie Prinz, Jr. and Rachael Leigh Cook. Sam Cruz's Infallible Guide to Getting Girls is a story much like what I've described, but told with an unabashed realism and honesty about what guys and girls are actually thinking about sex, relationships and love.

Sam Cruz is seriously one of the funniest books I've read in a while. The reaction that Sam has to the new and improved Ally made me laugh out loud, blush, and roll my eyes. The boy seriously "stood at attention" practically every time he looked at or even thought of Ally. As the mom of a boy, I am totally unprepared to even consider that these reactions occur in guys. As a girl, I am resigned to the fact that I know it happens. A lot. The fact that the author went there with Sam, didn't sugar coat the physical desires and actions of the teens, made me appreciate the story on a greater level. It's nature, there's no need in shame, is how I tend to look at these things. Ask me if I still feel that way when I have teenagers and you may get a different story.

Another factor that made me appreciate the story was Ally's ownership of her sexuality. I loved that she took charge of her desires, that she was able to express herself. Did she always make the right choices? Probably not. But she was safe, and completely consientious of what was happening. Ally didn't just sit there and let things happen, and no matter if you think teen sex is right/wrong/or something to fight at every level, a girl who knows what she wants, and is in charge of her own body is a girl that I respect.

As for the love story...it was definitely a slow road for Ally and Sam. As lifelong best friends, there are some lines that shouldn't be crossed for the sake of the friendship. Sam, who is deep-down afraid of abandonment, knows Ally can't handle the friends with benefits situation, and is not willing to risk losing her. Ally is less cautious and once she makes up her mind, she is willing to take the leap from friends to love. And though the relationship is a huge risk, I'm with Ally. Best friends who become boyfriends are the very best.


A story of friends, love, sex, and relationships, Sam Cruz' Infallible Guide to Getting Girls will make you laugh, root for these fantastic characters, then laugh some more.


Favorite Quotes:

  "I try reason. 'You faked a dead battery to trick me into coming out here so I would have sex with you.'
  'Well, it's not like you said 'no', she retorts.
  'Because I'm make and breathing. If there were going to be other conditions on this offer you should have shown me the small print. Beforehand.'
  'If I'd done that, you would have freaked out.'
  And there you have it, boys and girls. The place where my rules, carefully constructed to ensure a mutual good time, fall to shit."  -Sam   (eARC, 2%)


  "She gives me a huge hug. Except she's still in her lingerie, making my dragon roar its head again. I pull away.
  Ally glances down at my crotch and with a knowing grin, punches me in the arm."  -Sam (eARC, 25%)


  "Hooking up with her is like playing the home version of WrestleMania. There's rolling, tossing, name-calling, and the occasional threat. I'd put her in a headlock to get her back in line but she's just wormed her way on top of me."  -Sam  (eARC, 47%)

  
  "I pass Etienne, jumping around manically in what I guess is dancing. 'It's like Labiapalooza in here,' he calls out. 'Come mosh."  - Sam (eARC, 76%)

 

Read an Excerpt.


You can purchase Sam Cruz's Infallible Guide at:
Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Book Depository
Photobucket

16 comments:

  1. Ooh, this sounds so, so good! I love funny books so your review immediately has me wanting to read this. I got declined on Netgalley, maybe I should try Edelweiss!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this book sounds fun! I'd seen it around but hadn't given it much attention, but your review convinced me I should. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds amazing! Comedy, best friends becoming more, a makeover, and an in-charge girl. What more could a gal ask for in a story? Amazon Wishlisted it=)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this sounds so fun! I loved She's All That too! I love that you say this one is so honest. When taking a pretty fantastical plot like this (I mean really?) it's important to have honesty in there so the reader can go along with it. I will definitely be picking this one up when I can. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a really great and fun book. I loved the movie She's All That. I love that the author doesn't hold back either. It makes it so much more realistic that way. I will have to pick this book up sometime. Fab review chick!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds really funny. And did you see the "warning" on Amazon?

    LOL!!

    This book contains strong language, drinking, euphemisms, and lots of "bow chicka wow wow."

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have an eARC of this I have been trying to find the time to read, I'm going to bump it up on the list! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review. I am sooo glad you liked it to. It was such a fun book. Thanks for the shout out:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha! This sounds hilarious and maybe you'll be prepared for your kids becoming teenagers because of all the YA you read lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too love it when the really popular guy falls for the nerdy girl. Those are often some of my favorite movies, though I have never read any books like it. I think I will have to give this book a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great review! Glad you liked it. I really liked it also :) I thought it was so funny. I love She's All That by the way lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds like such a fun read and I totally love this scenario. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dragon? Oh man, I will never think of dragons the same way again! I love books with a realistic feel to it, even if it is crude. Can't wait to read this one. I picked it up because of Ellen's review too. And Debbie from I Heart YA Books recommended it to me too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't wait to read this! I'm nervous about my boys as teenagers too. :/ We can commiserate together. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh yes I had raging hormones as a teenager and well still do! I am sure my future kids will be the same. It is probably hard for parents but very much a reality that should be faced and not shamed. I love best friends turn romance stories so I am completely on board for this one now! Sounds cute and fun and I do love a girl that knows what she wants and takes charge.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Reminds me of What a Boy Wants. Sounds cute.

    Valerie

    ReplyDelete

Comments are bloggy food. Feed me!

Recent Post