Saturday, October 15, 2011

Review - The Iron Queen (Iron Fey, #3), by Julie Kagawa

My name is Meghan Chase.

I thought it was over. That my time with the fey, the impossible choices I had to make, the sacrifices of those I loved, was behind me. But a storm is approaching, an army of Iron fey that will drag me back, kicking and screaming. Drag me away from the banished prince who's sworn to stand by my side. Drag me into the core of conflict so powerful, I'm not sure anyone can survive it.
This time, there will be no turning back.
(From GoodReads)
My Review

I have to start by saying, I'm exhausted. The Iron Queen is such an insanely intense book! This book had me flying high one minute and sobbing like the over-dramatic drama queen that I am the next.

  When Book Two, The Iron Daughter, ended, Meghan and Ash had both been banished from Faery. They faced an uncertain future, but they were together, free from the constraints of their Courts. Sounds to good to be true, right? It is. Meghan and Ash are quickly pulled back into the Faery world, because it seems only Meghan can save Nevernever. What happens when they go back is a fantastic, terrifying ride.

  One of the things about author Julie Kagawa's writing is, her characters never stop surprising me. Every time I feel confident in my knowledge of a character, I'm thrown for a loop. Grim, Meghan, and Ash all made choices I didn't expect. But noone, and I mean no one, surprised me more that Mab. Could that viscious ice queen actually have a heart?!

 Another aspect that I love about this series is that no character truly feels expendable. I was happy that Leanansidhe was back in The Iron Queen. She is absolutely ridiculous. I know I should despise her, but I can't help but chuckle at her evil ways.  Charlie's story continues to be explored, and Ironhorse even place a substantial role in the story.
 Annnnd, the romance. Yeah, I know that's an incomplete sentence. But when I think about the swoony, kissy romance in The Iron Queen, that's about as much as my brain will compute. In other books, sometimes I see these romantic scenes, and I don't buy. But not here. Meghan and Ash continue to burn it up in The Iron Queen. The moments they shared gave me chills!
  In addition to the kissy moments, The Iron Queen also includes some kickass battle scenes. The battles are fierce, bloody, frightening and invigorating. The way the scenes were written made me feel as if I were watching a movie, The Lord of the Rings is what comes to mind.
This book, and series, really does have it all. Everything that a reader comes to expect from a young adult fantasy is right here. I can't wait (CAN'T WAIT!) to find out what happens in The Iron Knight. I'm sure many tears, smiles and fist pumps will be involved.
Favorite Quote(s):

"I learned that love can transcend race and time, and that it can be beautiful and perfect and worth fighting for but also fragile and heartbreaking, and sometimes sacrifice is necessary. "

" 'For the record,' Grimalkin stated as we ventured, single file, into the black, 'I do not think this is a good idea. But, as no one listens to the cat anymore, I will have to wait until we are completely lost to say 'I told you so.' "

" 'Not bad, Goodfellow,' Glitch said with grudging respect.
  'Oh, so glad you think so, socket-head. My mad crocheting skills finally came in handy for
  something.' "

Paperback, 358 pages
Published January 25th 2011 by Harlequin Teen  
Find The Iron Queen at:
GoodReads  |  Barnes & Noble   |  Amazon  |  Book Depository                 

*The Iron Queen is a book I purchased.*

7 comments:

  1. Great review :-) Loved the quotes you picked. This book was definitely my favorite of the 3, but I have a feeling that may change once I read The Iron Knight. Can't wait for Ash's book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished the Iron King, and I loved it so very much. I really want to start the Iron Daughter soon. Great Review, it just makes me more excited to finish up the series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this series!!! I finally read Iron Knight and it was AMAZING! great review! I'm glad you like it :) I know what you mean about ups and downs, it's like laughing one minute, crying the next. Crazy book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! The Iron Queen is my favorite out of the currently published novels in this series. I still have to get The Iron Knight, which I already pre-ordered. (You can get it for $7.50 from Book Depository.)

    "Summer's Crossing" is SUPER funny and Puck is so cute. I think anyone would just love him more after reading it. I did!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been waiting for this review!! :) Now you can pine for Iron Knight with me!

    Ooh, the romantic parts are so swoony in this one.. I loved this one above the other two.. I think I just keep liking each one more then the last.. I hope this will ring true with the next.

    <3 Ash. Screw Kal Drogo. lol actually, that came out to sound like a win/win.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful review! I loved this book! I was iffy about the first one, but the second and third one really got it for me! And of course The Iron Knight was AMAZING! I actually want to re-read it before it comes out this month! Yeah, all of their scenes together totally gave me chills too! Aaaaahhhh! I just love Julia Kagawa! This one and The Iron Knight had me crying a lot! :)

    Liza @ Book Crook Liza

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh... you made me want to read The Iron Queen again. I agree that the book has everything: romance and action rolled into one very pretty package. Iron Knight is a little bit different, but still very good. :D

    ReplyDelete

Comments are bloggy food. Feed me!

Recent Post