Friday, July 15, 2011

Review of Things to Do in Denver When You're Un-Dead

Things to Do in Denver When You're Un-Dead



For ten years Kal Hakala has been the Bureau of Supernatural Investigation's top man, the longest surviving agent in its blood-soaked history. There has been no case he couldn't crack, no monster he couldn't kill. Until a plague of zombies in Denver turns into an investigation of a vicious serial killer dubbed The Organ Donor. Fueled by rage and a hatred of all things supernatural, he dives headlong into the one mystery that could finally kill him. ~From GoodReads

  Beware: Major Praise Coming...

  From the funny, attention-grabbing opening line "Mondays suck. Always. Standard rule of life.", Things to Do in Denver When You're Un-Dead, had me completely hooked. Mark Stone has built a fantastic new world that was fascinating to read.
  The cast of characters were gruff and gritty, but also likeable and worth rooting for. The center of the story, Kal Hakala, is the ultimate hero.  Kal is a tough guy, but also can be kind and generous when the circumstances warrant it. Clues lead to the belief that Kal has a secret. A secret that has led him to this point in his life, and could be his undoing. He is the ultimate leader and go-to guy in a company of preeminent undercover warriors. Each member of the team, from Pat the receptionist/psychiatrist, Sue and Brian, fellow agents, on up to the man in charge, BB, is intriguing and worthwhile of their own story.
  The world that Mark Stone has (hopefully) invented for Things to Do in Denver When You're Un-Dead is so thorough, I don't believe a single detail was left amiss. There is a weapon or computer program to combat every situation. The beings who occupy this world range from miniature creatures, Brownies, who keep his life running smoothly as long as he supplies them with snacks and live in a miniature RV under his desk, all the way up to Class 5 demons who are the ultimate enemy of the team.  There are vampires, zombies and ghouls to contend with. And believe me when I say that in this world they are not the misunderstood and endearing creatures we've been reading lately!
  Things to Do in Denver When You're Undead is perhaps the "smartest" book I have read in quite a while. The dialogue is sharp, witty, funny and kept me reading obsessively. The plot was brilliant. There were many major twists and turns that had me guessing, and gasping, and at one point sobbing, right up until the very last line of the book. My only complaint? That now I'll have to wait for a sequel!

**Honestly, I could have written a whole review based on the many lines in the book that I loved. Here is my favorite:

"Fortunately for the good citzens of the Mile High City, we came, we saw, and we kicked undead ass, ridding the place of a smelly, rotting menace."

4 comments:

  1. I'm guessing this is a MUST read for me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved it. But beware, this is NOT a pro-zombie book! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I reviewed this book on my blog, too, but I didn't give it as much praise as you did. Still, my fave characters were Alex and Ghost. Their history just blew me away..

    My review is here: http://abnormallyparanormal.blogspot.com/2011/07/things-to-do-in-denver-when-youre-un.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cathy,
    Thanks for leaving a comment. I've checked out your review as well.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are bloggy food. Feed me!

Recent Post